Options

Alcohol/ Electric stove Fuel

Just wondering what stove fuel type people use.   I know you can get the "marine specific' alcohol stove fuel from the chandlery but its  expensive, because its for a boat.       And I know that in the States, denatured alcohol is recommended for use in stoves. But thats hard to find in Canada, and doing some research I see that using Methyl Hydrate or Ethanol is acceptable, but theres some disagreement as to the amount of heat produced by these fuels and the fact that they might produce more smoke.   Just wondering if  theres a consensus as to what fuel to use......particularly as it applies to us in Canada.....

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only ever used denatured alcohol ... sorry. Didn't want to take a chance. 

Probably not an issue, but you may also want to look into the temperatures each alternative burns at ... some may be too low ... I know denatured alcohol already took too long to boil water ... not sure if too hot would be an issue as well ... doubt it ... but worth looking into.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but I can’t see any burning flame on a boat safe - fuel risk or burnt byproduct. Last boat had an alcohol stove and never used it. Cans still in the garage on the shelf.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    seahawkseahawk Member Posts: 62
    Thanx Mark....just outta curiosity ...where do you find denatured alcohol in Ontario..???

• Options
    Thanx Icoultha....point taken.   I’ve had many boats over the years and all of them have had onboard stoves that used either propane, butane or alcohol. One of the boats had a great little Origo alcohol stove that, I have to admit, burned cooler than the others and took longer to make a coffee, but it did the trick.  The stove that Rinker installed on this particular boat is Combo Alcohol/Elecrtric. I like to think that I’m careful with any type of flame on a boat but since using the electric side of the stove isn’t an option at anchor, I’d just like to have the alcohol option to make a coffee in the morning. My issue is simply finding a fuel to burn. Apparently the Canadian government has seen fit to make it impossible to buy stove alcohol here for some reason.    But again, your point about open flame on a boat is very valid, and I respect your comment.  
  • Options
    Thanx Greg.......

• Options
    seahawk said:
    Thanx Mark....just outta curiosity ...where do you find denatured alcohol in Ontario..???

Most marine shops have it. It think I got mine at West Marine, while they were still operating here (sorry, sold my boat a few years back). The other option is camping stores, like Sail. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanx Mark....seems like our govt has placed restrictions on importing Liquid stove alcohol into the country in the last year or so. My local chandlery just found out a few weeks ago when they tried to get their spring supply. We can get gel ethanol but not liquid. But that wont work in my stove. I'll just keep looking for options. So far the closest I can find is liquid ethanol or methanol in the paint department of the hardware stores.     

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's as a result of idiots burning themselves with those stupid patio table heaters by trying to add fuel when still hot. All fuel has to be ethanol or gel type now. Another example of our touchy feely nambypamby government trying to protect the stupid and ill informed. I say let Darwin sort it out.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Jeeeeez ......    I guess someone has to protect people from themselves. In the meantime I guess I'll heat my coffee over a Bic lighter......:-)

• Options
    seahawk said:
    Thanx Mark....seems like our govt has placed restrictions on importing Liquid stove alcohol into the country in the last year or so. My local chandlery just found out a few weeks ago when they tried to get their spring supply. We can get gel ethanol but not liquid. But that wont work in my stove. I'll just keep looking for options. So far the closest I can find is liquid ethanol or methanol in the paint department of the hardware stores.     

My guess is that methanol will burn at too low of a temperature, plus I think it burns invisible (dangerous). Ethanol should be okay in terms of temperature ... but it's more about the smoke ... if you don't mind taking a chance, you can buy some and burn a test outside (in a foil or steel container) ... it should give you an idea ... anyhow, you obviously need to use caution here ... it is fire.

On the other hand ... does anyone have the number of boats out there that use fuel onboard for cooking? I'm going to guess millions??? So now all of a sudden it's too dangerous?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    The USCG annual report on boating accidents doesn't mention it, so it probably doesn't happen often.

I'd guess that only a tiny fraction of boats are equipped with liquid-fuel stoves, and only a tiny fraction of those stoves ever get used.  I had one in my first boat.  I used it once, and it scared me so much that I never used it again.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I had an alcohol electric combo in my Four Winns and removed it immediately and replaced with a drop in induction unit. 

I would rather take my chances with a portable genny on the swim platform powering a cooktop than an open flame in the cabin. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay