Options

Transom door modified to eliminate rattle

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
I just fixed two annoying problems with my transom door.  1)  It made an obnoxious rattling noise underway, and 2)  swinging the door closed would make the latch bolt swing right past the strike plate, putting stress on the door hinges.  

All I did was add a simple doorstop.  Now, if I swing the door, it closes perfectly with no rattle at all.  And the sound it makes when I close it is very solid and satisfying, just like a car door.  

This is the door latch.  Guessing it's standard equipment on a lot of express cruisers.

I used two pieces of 1/4" Starboard marine lumber secured with four screws.  I sealed the seams with 3M 4200.  The position is important.  I held the stop flush with the bottom of the door, then pushed it about 1/8" forward before attaching it.  That offset puts just a little bit of tension on the door latch so it doesn't rattle.

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea, just got back from 10 days dealing with in-laws estate and found they had installed my engine hatch and broke the barrel bolt. It's a Perko 0947DP1 and comes with a bulkhead snubber. I will copy your door stopper, thanks for posting it.