Options

Any HVAC guys on here?

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've got an uncle in the apartment maintenance buisness.  He's and HVAC wiz. He loves the efficiency of mini splits.  He took one look at my marine air unit and wasn't impressed with its design from an effiency stand point.  

He pondered marinizing the condenser of a mini spit system and running the regular blower vents

Then I came across this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/eqog9r/mini_split_ac_unit_converted_to_use_water_for_boat/&ved=2ahUKEwikkuyO7O_vAhVuS98KHZUBBj8QFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1c7Sj0ZjWyqT6wymUQERIO

Id love to run a 3 stage system, one blower in the helm area(id need some curtains to enclose in the canvas), one in the aft bedroom and one in main salon.  Not sure if you've guys messed with these WiFi accessible, programmable units before but seems handy for them to switch from heat to AC automatically or timer as well as controlling it via Wi-Fi from a remote location.

Can any of you guys figure out what exactly this guy used for his compressor system?  My 9k btu system is undersized and in about a year ill be looking to do some major on board upgrades and renovations.  

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you could mount the condenser somewhere on the boat, make a sheet metal transition fitting on the outlet side reduced to a 4 inch round fitting with a bilge blower motor then you could duct it outside. Remember that all mini splits are 240 volt. There is no way I know of of pumping water thru an existing mini split condenser in place of the fan. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Seems like a great solution for the author's sailboat, or a trawler or slip queen.  On a planing boat subjected to shock and vibration, I have to wonder how long the components would last.  
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    my mini split is 220
  • Options
    My boat has a top speed if about 23 mph at about 10,000 lbs.  I'm a fast inefficient trawler.  

The mini splits I've been looking at or would use are 120 but I just realized the mulit zone ones are all 120
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    With a top speed of 23mph at 10,000 lbs I'm a fast inefficient trawler!  

I just started looking at the mini spit units, there are plenty of single zone 110v units but I can't find any multi zone units that are not 220.  
  • Options

I just started looking at the mini spit units, there are plenty of single zone 110v units but I can't find any multi zone units that are not 220.  
    Give up that idea and just get 2 marine rated units
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    FWIW most marina (atleast around here) are 208 vac. 220 or 240 rated equipment may have a problem running. Make sure name plate rating matches your supplied voltage. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

Give up that idea and just get 2 marine rated units
    I'm not sure i have room for anyting more than a 4500 watt genny,  just a single 16k btu unit would push the limits there.  Whatever I do an upgrade is necessary.
  • Options
    You could set an RV AC unit on the bow 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could set an RV AC unit on the bow 
    I don’t know why you don’t see more boats with an RV unit. Seems like it would be a simple installation.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    They make marine portable units to set in the hatch.

Or an RV unit set on the cabin top!!!  Embrace my inner redneck
  • Options
    One of the Reddit comments was "I like the idea of avoiding "marine" equipment when possible."  

(Palm on forehead ...)  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    One of the Reddit comments was "I like the idea of avoiding "marine" equipment when possible."  

(Palm on forehead ...)  
    Yes. That was a red flag!
  • Options
    @PickleRick , I don’t think the marine unit that goes in the hatch is available anymore.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @PickleRick , I don’t think the marine unit that goes in the hatch is available anymore.
    It is, just go to the marina on a warm summer afternoon and wait for cussing. Its most likely a hatch mount owner who's dropped it on his toe while removing it to take the boat out.  He'll likely pay you to take it
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    LaRea said:

(Palm on forehead ...)  

Depends, those of us with diesels don't need to worry about ignition protection items.  Ever looked at diesel inboard gennys?  Some say NOT IGNITION PROTECED NOT FOR GAS POWERED BOATS.

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

(Palm on forehead ...)  
    This is him.

• Options
    LaRea said:

(Palm on forehead ...)  
    This is him.

That's me vacationing in key west
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong ... @PickleRick, I'd ride on your boat any day.  But I wouldn't ride with a boater who seeks out ways to avoid "marine" equipment.  That attitude will end badly.    

My marine AC unit will probably have a service life of 20 years at a cost of $2000, so $100/year.  Maybe a mini-split can do that in the gentle environment of your trawler/cruiser.  (Trawluiser?  Cruilawler?)
  • Options
    I didn't like the idea of the mini spit because of the non marine parts. I like it because of the effiency.  You can turn zones on or off individually and at their own desired temps.   Running the hard lines may pose and issue on a refit install.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    An old dock mate who converted a window unit for his boat.  It was water cooled and functioned just like a marine unit.  Wish I knew the details.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    So what he did is take the outside unit, remove the air exchange, plumbed that refrigerant line through the water hose (with a coil to improve efficiency a bit), and ran water through it with a cheap pump. 

If you wanted a split unit: so the same, but use the marine heat exchanger from a junked ebay marine unit.

If you want wireless: you can buy wireless controls for your current unit much simpler.

I've got HVAC tools AND a marine 6k unit with a bad compressor valve here in Charleston... we could try. 
  • Options
    So what he did is take the outside unit, remove the air exchange, plumbed that refrigerant line through the water hose (with a coil to improve efficiency a bit), and ran water through it with a cheap pump. 

If you wanted a split unit: so the same, but use the marine heat exchanger from a junked ebay marine unit.

If you want wireless: you can buy wireless controls for your current unit much simpler.

I've got HVAC tools AND a marine 6k unit with a bad compressor valve here in Charleston... we could try. 

That's what it looks like.  Seems guys have been doing the window unit conversion for years, most were HVAC or handymen who claim it's simple and not to over think it..  The water condensers are more efficient that air condensers so they don't need to be super big. Searching window units gave much more info but still lack specific details.  Even found one guy with an inboard 350 who adapted a truck AC compressor so he could have air in the enclosure of his center console.     

I may take you up on that offer, im keeping my eye out for a 110 unitl with a bad compressor to come across the local classifieds. This way if I kill it im not out much.    
  • Options
    I have the 110v Dometic 6k - going to part out the controls and electronics. I'll have a compressor with a stuck valve, the cage, and the heat exchanger to scrap when I'm done. 
  • Options