Spectrum Patch Paste Project

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
I started to fix two gouges on my hull today. I mixed up half the jar with 12 drops of hardener. I didn’t use the plastic over it like I did when I did the repair on my 242. I’ll let it harden for a day or two tape it back up and then wet sand and polish. I’m sure it will be a little whiter once finished but no one will ever know it’s there. I used the coffee stirrer to help contour the one on the back of my swim platform. If any more paste is needed, I still have half a jar left.

2008 330EC

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like my recent job.  I rough-sanded with a Dremel.  If it still catches my eye after a season, maybe I'll wet-sand and polish!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered both sand and bone patch paste as "white white" is not a match.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m happy. I might do a skim coat again on the platform but it’s a lot better than what I had. For some reason some of the fiberglass came through on the platform, I must not have put the paste on thick enough, but the contour looks even. You can barely see the round gouge I had on the side of the hull.

2008 330EC
    @aero3113 how do you avoid the shadow line around the repair? I’m annoyed!

Heres a photo where I removed a bimini bracket. You can see the faint outline of the two screw holes. 

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s strange to see the holes outlined. Is the gel coat thick in that area? Maybe they needed to be beveled then filled? Did you block sand it or sand with just the paper? 
    2008 330EC
    I beveled the holes with a countersink bit. Block sand. 
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Gel coat repair is a funny thing.  I’ve done some patches that look great, then others, like @YYZRC where there will be an outline on part of the patch.
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Yyzrc if it in an area that gets a lot of Sun it may eventually blend in. I have a few friends that noticed the same at first but now you can’t see the difference. Maybe it will just take some time ? 
    Thanks @goalie59 - I will keep an eye on it.