Options

shaking in reverse

JPJonesJPJones Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
Wondering of anyone has dealt with this one--am getting some shaking and rattling in transom area when in reverse and turning.   My first guess is possible loose linkage in the steering arm assembly.  Have to confess until I have someone with me to drive while I watch the steering arm up close I can't tell if its the steering or something else. Engine mounts, power steering and drives seem to be okay. 
Post edited by JPJones on

Answers

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Have you hit anything????? Maybe a bent prop or some line tangled in them....

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Oh does that sound like XDP drives eating their gimbals up.  If you have these drives, that might just be it.  The original bellows design and a couple of redesigns after that would wear thru and allow water to get in there and corrode the gimbals.  Could this be what is going on?

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited August 2013
    Sounded like Gimbals to me to but I didn't want to be the 1st one to break the bad news  

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options

Hi Boomer,  I thought I should be the one to suggest it because this same thing happened to me, as you know.  Painful 

And JP, I might have had a ride on your boat in '06.  I lived in GA at the time and was becoming interested in boating.  There was a dealer who had a Rinker account right near Lake Lanier.  I forgot the name of the dealership.  But I was in contact with him, looked at a 320 and a 342 that he had blocked up under his shed roof in the front.  At least that is how I remember it.  I arranged with him for a test ride on the lake in the 320.  That was a great ride.  I really liked the boat.  I said to my self, if I can work things out financially, I this would a good reason to do so.  So yours could have been the one.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    JPJonesJPJones Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Will be taking another look although the drives were pulled and serviced in March by Volvo dealer-- inspected, lubed,  bellows replaced, gear lube, props reconditioned, etc.  All these moving parts on a stern drive boat are enough to drive one to inboards!
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I know, two engines and two outdrives is kinda like having four engines to service and keep track of.

I hope your vibration problems are not related to the XDP drives and they very well may be from something else.

Yours is a very benign fresh water environment so that is a big plus.  Our boat is run hard (meaning often and on trips) in a very rough salt water environment so we would expect to encounter the effects of XDP design problems before most.  And we did.

But with a lot of TLC to these drives we were able to get 900 hours and 7 years out of them before we threw in the towel.  I am hoping our new OceanX drives will be trouble free.  They sure made the Salt Shaker into a different boat.  I am thinking of changing the name to "Jackrabbit."  LOL

Tony