Options

Inverter/charger

seahawkseahawk Member Posts: 62
Would anyone have any comments about installing an inverter /charger in a 280 EC as opposed to just a charger.

I was going to swap out the charger that was original equipment on the boat, with a new ProMariner Pronautic.   But before I do that, would there be a reason to install an inverter/charger ( I/C ) instead.    

I'm not too 'savvy' with electrical systems so bear with me.       Would an I/C be wired into the boat in such a manner that I'd be able to plug AC appliances right into the AC receptacles on the boat.??  
I realize the need to keep the House bank charged somehow as an inverter is simply drawing off the house battery stored capacity. The main AC appliances  I'd consider using would be a fan, iPad chargers, an a small coffee maker,....and I realize the coffee maker is the "high draw item" that would require a lot of juice. 

I also guess that this isnt going to be a simple 'remove and replace' of the existing charger, but that I'm going to be playing with 120VAC, and might want to get a marine electrician to do the install.  

Any thoughts or comments would be very much appreciated.    Thanks.     

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Im not sure how your boat was wired but my breaker panel is wired for 2 AC inputs.  

The previous owner had a slip but being on the cali coast the pulled out the air conditioner when it quit working.  They anchored out regularly at the Catalina Island( the effing Catalina wine mixer) and installed power inverter so they didn't have to live in dark ages.

The power inverter was wired into the number 2 input for the breaker panel.  So if you wanted to run on the batteries you flipped to the 2nd input and then hit the button to power on the inverter.  This way the entire breaker panel ran off the inverter.  You just turned off the breakers of the items you didn't want running.  

If they decided to connect back to shore power on the #2  panel they just unplugged the power inverter and capped the cord.  

This set up wouldn't run the air conditioner but worked fine for coffee, hair dryer, tv etc.   Basic creature comforts.  The wiring is the easy part, it's the snaking of wires that sucks.  

I suck at AC wiring, I specialize in DC systems but I was able to install a battery charger and air conditioner without frying myself. 

Ill never use the inverter so I removed it when I reinstalled the new air conditioner system.  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    I'd get a pro to install it.  If you want to dig into the technical details, this page by safety guru Jim Gilwell has a ton of good information.

https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/category/boat-technical-topics/electrical-topics/boat-ac-topics/inverters-on-boats/ 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I don't know anything about inverter chargers.

I have contemplated disconnecting the starboard side AC inputs and wiring an inverter in place of them.  It would be a simple install assuming you place the inverter somewhere near the panel (and not in the engine bay where you have ignition protection concerns), but to @PickleRick's point it would require running heavy gauge battery cables which is not very fun.

My motivation would be the ability to run a coffee maker and a toaster in the morning without firing up the genny.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    An inverter is only as good as the battery bank supplying it. It takes 100 amps of 12VDC to give you 10 amps at 120 VAC. I would advise you to seek out a pro to plan it and install.
  • Options
    seahawkseahawk Member Posts: 62
    Thanx everyone.  After reading all the comments and doing a bit more research today, I think I’ll put the idea of an inverter on the back burner.  It seems to me that the “cost, effort, benefit” analysis would suggest that it’s not practical. Really appreciate all the comments.    Thanks...

• Options
    JonathonJonathon Member Posts: 7
    I only noticed this today - I had thought about the same but one challenge is that the factory charger (and batteries) in most  ECs are in the engine room. Getting an ignition proof charger is easy, finding a good sized ignition proof inverter is not. I did find a couple options, expensive and hard to get. 

Assuming you can get one of those I don't think it would be too bad, if you can you need another place to install the inverter with large cables back to your house batts. AC should be easy to the panel. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    On my 270 I mounted one under the trash can /helm seat and ran the wires down to the battery als with a remote switch to turn it on and off