Options

2001 270 fv wiring diagram

ljsheinljshein Member Posts: 14
Hi ,
Looking for a wiring diagram  for our 2001 270 fv.
There are 2 specific issues  I'm trying to solve.
1. The dash lights are out.  I suspect it's the switch need to pull off the panel  and check.   Anyone  know where to source a replacement switch?
2. The 12 volt outlet starboard side in the cabin (near the a/c switch) has no power. The 12 volt outlet in the breaker panel works perfectly.  I'd like to try and trace the wires from the non-working outlet back to the source and repair. 

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Have your dash (helm) lights worked in the past? Typically helm lights (when all switches light up at same time) activate only when the anchor/navigation light switch is activated.  And the helm switch acts as a dimmer switch, not and on-off switch. I learned the hard way - and am now in the process of rewiring the helm light activation to an empty accessory switch.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    Here's a set of schematics for a 2007 280, which should be similar to your 270.

• Options
    On the gauge lights, I bet your dimmer module fell off.  See this link:

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/32323#Comment_32323
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    Have your dash (helm) lights worked in the past? Typically helm lights (when all switches light up at same time) activate only when the anchor/navigation light switch is activated.  And the helm switch acts as a dimmer switch, not and on-off switch. I learned the hard way - and am now in the process of rewiring the helm light activation to an empty accessory switch.
    Tony,
    Thanks for the great explanation!  I've only had the boat a short time and never seen the helm lights working.  I'll check this out when I'm there on Friday.

thanks!
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully it will be that simple. Just remember the more often you come back here the smarter you become!  :) There are a lot of people on this forum much smarter than me - and I am constantly learning new things about how my boat works. Thanks to them I've saved plenty of boats bucks by doing the things I can, and knowing when to call in an expert.

And if you know the answer to something, don't be afraid to add to the discussion. This is probably the most civil forum on the web and no one will attack you for your comments - unless it's about diesels or land yachts.   :D
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    On the gauge lights, I bet your dimmer module fell off.  See this link:

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/32323#Comment_32323
    This is awesome!  I will check it out this weekend!

thanks!
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    Hopefully it will be that simple. Just remember the more often you come back here the smarter you become!  :) There are a lot of people on this forum much smarter than me - and I am constantly learning new things about how my boat works. Thanks to them I've saved plenty of boats bucks by doing the things I can, and knowing when to call in an expert.

And if you know the answer to something, don't be afraid to add to the discussion. This is probably the most civil forum on the web and no one will attack you for your comments - unless it's about diesels or land yachts.   :D
    Thanks, Tony,

I've been around boats since I was a teenager, my Dad had a few and I was always learning how to fix things when he broke them LOL  I worked as an auto mechanic for a couple of years to pay for college so I'm comfortable with tools and solving problems.  I had an older 20 ft bowrider for 14 years and re-built it from the hull up.  This 270 FV is a step up for me but it feels really great to be back on the lake.  I really fell in love with this boat fast!  I belong to a few forums on different topics and I'm never afraid to contribute.  I feel like it's a give and take... you want to be generous with your knowledge so that others will do the same.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience!

Jeff 
  • Options
    I finally  got back to look at the 12v outlet and it wasn't the circuit breaker.  I found a blown inline fuse a few feet back from the 12v recepical. Of course I had to pull the wall panel apart to find it but at least that issue is resolved. :)
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many more to follow
  • Options
    I got the panel apart, the dimmer is still where it belongs.  I noticed what looks like a light under the switch labels, when is that supposed to be on?  The ground for that is connected to the ground for the wiper switch which is also not working.  
    With no dash lights and no wiper, is there a common connection someplace?
  • Options
    On my boat, everything is grounded back to a ground buss bar in the engine room.  From the factory, it was a mess ... way too many wires on too few screws.  Some of the ring terminals had 3-4 wires jammed into them, and most of the screws on the buss bar had 3-4 terminals.  Find that buss bar and look for loose wires.
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    On my boat, everything is grounded back to a ground buss bar in the engine room.  From the factory, it was a mess ... way too many wires on too few screws.  Some of the ring terminals had 3-4 wires jammed into them, and most of the screws on the buss bar had 3-4 terminals.  Find that buss bar and look for loose wires.
    you are correct, when I looked more closely (had to have my glasses on LOL ) I found several loose wires where the tabs had broken off and the wires were hanging free.  Three switches total, maybe 4-6 wires hanging in the wind.  I went and got the terminal connectors and when I go back next weekend, I'll put it back together again.

thanks for your help!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Good to hear.  Let us know how it comes out.  I added a second buss bar and re-terminated all of the wires.