Options

Sleeping in V berth

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
Hi everyone,

I'm 6 feet and my wife is 5.8. We're trying to figure out how we sleep in the V berth on our 290ec. Any recommendations?

It's also quite hard. Any of you figure something out?

Thanks in advance,

Art
2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our 242 is really tight for both of us also. When it gets real uncomfortable, I take the forward berth and my wife takes the aft berth.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 6' and my wife is 5'5" and we fit in the v-berth of our 276 PLUS our 80lb chocolate lab. The trick was to sleep with our feet towards the bow, but it was still plenty tight. Its helps that she is like 110lbs. :)

I would think you should be plenty comfortable in a 290, but if not like posted above use the aft cabin......
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added a custom mattress pad and sheets last year. Amazing improvement in comfy level!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Thanks. I forgot to mention I have two kids in the aft - son (6'1'') and daughter (5'9'')...

We'll think out of the box.
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Your going to need a cruise ship......lol Just kidding......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another 10-12' will help!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    We added "egg crate" padding...also known as memory foam and cut it to fit. Did the same for the beds in the toy hauler. As far as height is concerned...I'm thinking blinders,ear plugs and bug spray and sleep out in the cockpit??? Don't laugh,I've done it before,more than once as a matter of fact :))

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    here is an idea for adding length to your vbirth. it might take a bit of simple engineering as I don't know the details of your layout. take some plywood or starboard and cut to size with hinges so it folds under the current mattress when not in use and folded out when needed with a pad insert or extension. it may need a pedistal leg for support or a sturdy hinge that can hold the inverse leverage of the cantilever12" or so. hopefully this might sense...

LG
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Feet towards starboard, I'm towards the back, wife is next to opening.. I'm 6'2, wife 5'1. Very comfy.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Always have a few drinks first and then I don't even remember about the sleeping part... Rum therapy... it works every time.
  • Options
    trich11trich11 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Plenty of room in our 342 but the mattress is hard. We put 4" memory foam done and cut to fit. It's kind of like a jigsaw puzzle. Best thing to use is an electric filet knife to cut the foam. Works just like a hot knife through butter.
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    After multiple failed attempts to make the forward berth comfy on our 2008 320, I figured out that an aerobed full mattress fits just about perfectly in the forward berth, uses standard sheets, etc. and we love it. I bought the kind that has the built-in 120 volt pump so we can easily adjust firmness. We never liked sleeping in the aft "cave". What's great about the air bed is that you can easily lift it up to get to the storage compartments underneath.
  • Options
    jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    Patron makes me sleep a little easier in the V-Berth
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point Jmoen. I could probably sleep in the anchor locker with a liberal number of shots. Its not the going to sleep with a Patron buzz .....its the wakin' up not remembering how I got there ;)

Hope youre having a good season MnK
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    I sleep in the aft on my 342 plus its easier to make the bed also....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Here is our solution.  A standard size 2 (or is it 3) inch memory foam.  slip cover made out of sheets for it.  Then a top sheet followed by the blanket.  The entire thing spins around so it can be made up standing at the foot and when finished, spun around to the correct position and shoved to the mirror.  Great solution for us.

And not shown is a 2 step collapsible ladder for ease in getting down so the "in the middle of the night" piddle-atorium visit can be easily be made.  The ladder is stowed in the collapsed position between the stairs and the wall of the piddle-atorium when not in use.  The ladder finds an occasional use in the cockpit for reaching things on the top of the arch etc. 

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

Captain's Quarters photo IMG_01384-08Captainsquarters_zpsdf67055c.jpg

• Options
    hanzelvhhanzelvh Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

I assume you have a problem with the lenght of the bed.

This is how we solved the problem, we changed the back lean of the coach in the V-berth to put our feet in, see picture.

Took only few hours to do.

Now we have a bed with lenght of over 2 metres.

previous 280EC with VP D4-260, now Bavaria 33HT with twin VP 4,3
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real smart idea! Gold Medal for a real nice job too! MT