Options

Voltage drop on Vessel View

RinkerRayRinkerRay Member Posts: 8
edited April 2021 in Electrical Discussions
Im having an issue on starboard volt meter. Last year when the voltage dropped to around 11.4 the engine stalled. I have replaced all batteries an alternator. with engines off both volt meters read about the same, but after starting and running the starboard meter keeps dropping. does anyone know where this meter reads its voltage from? is it the batteries, alternator output, somewhere else? I'm worried I'm going to have the same issue this year when the voltage drops below 11.5 the Axius/Smartcraft system will shut down the engine. Any help or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe an issue with your isolator? What happens if you swap the port and starboard wires at the isolator?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Thank you for your response, i will try that this weekend.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Agree -- somehow, the alternator current is not reaching the battery.  

VV is reading the voltage of the starter battery.  If the battery isn't receiving current from the alternator, the voltage will drop below 12 volts.  I had the same symptom this last weekend, and it was a problem with the isolator. (I had battery cables connected to the wrong terminals.)  

If you are on shore power and the battery charger is on, does the voltage drop?  
  • Options
    "VV is reading the voltage of the starter battery" That is good to know! I think i will start with cleaning all terminals at the idolator and testing. none of the cables have been removed so I think they are all correctly positioned. I will check this weekend what voltage readings i get with shore power on charger on.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @RinkerRay welcome to the RBOC. Also check and make sure all connections are good and tight. A loose connection can drive you nutz. Good luck and keep us posted.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    After doing some testing, it appears the isolator may be the problem. I have a new one arriving this week and will post the results once installed. The voltage from the alternator is reaching the isolator but not going back out to the battery.
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Same thing happened on my 276, quick fix and its been perfect since replacing the isolator.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    New isolator installed. Problem fixed! The old one had some cracks that probably allowed moisture in. Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

• Options
    pcmpetepcmpete Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    i have been chasing the same issue for a while, my isolator has a couple of cracks too. where did you get the new replacement?  Thanks