Options

Only will engage in reverse after dewinterizing.

We had a company here dewinterize our boat and we went to take our boat out for our first trip of the season only to find out that our boat would only engage in reverse (with the exception of 2 times that allowed us to get back to our dock).  Any ideas?   Never happened before.  

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Something with the shift cables maybe?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,546 mod
    The shift cable is broken or detached.  Somebody will chime in with details, but I'm pretty sure the boat has to come out of the water.  
  • Options
    cristykcristyk Member Posts: 29
    Are those inside the engine compartment or on the outside of the boat?

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a shift cable adjustment is needed, if it went into reverse and forward occasionally the drive connection is ok
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercury or Volvo?

Merc has two shift cables. One from helm to a shift plate and then from shift plate to the outdrive. You will have to determine which is causing the issue. 

IIRC, Volvo has the shift cable going all the way from helm to the outdrive. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Whe we tried to put it in drive it stayed In reverse.  It did not drop to neutral.  ( in case that clarification needed to be made).  
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It is a Mercury.  Would that be something that could’ve been damaged during the dewinterizing process?  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That makes it easier. You can disconnect the shift cable at the plate and have someone shift at the helm while watching to see if it’s working properly. It’s not good to shift a Merc when not running so disconnecting the cable first is a good idea. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    It's odd that they would disrupt the shift cables while winterizing...but who knows.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember who but I thought I saw a posting on here from a member of one of the cable clamps or clips coming off in the engine bay and causing a shifting issue. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I didn't see if it was an alpha or a bravo.  If it's s bravo it could be a shifter clutch issue if the cables are adjusted and moving properly.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    It's odd that they would disrupt the shift cables while winterizing...but who knows.
    when you're in trailer/tow mode, above operational trim, you should be in forward gear.  you can get by with it more often than you can't, but, you're putting the stretch on those cables when you don't.  

when adjusting the cables, done atop the engine, when it says 7 and 1/8th inch, that is what it means... not a sixteenth more or less... tip: when you remove the shifting cable from that bracket, grip the plastic sleeve and the cables eye, and pull it steady but firmly.  Make sure it's at it's limit when you spin those barrels to the proper length... 

if it was shifted a couple times at full up trim (trailer mode) it would have stretched it that sixteenth of an inch, and..... no shifty shift... but the fact it locks in one position and not the other indicates this is what happened.   

don't shift it nor raise it that high out of FORWARD gear no mo!