Options

Canvas Issue

Looking for a short term and permanent fix.  Unwrapped the boat yesterday and discovered a crack in the plastic part of the zipper for that canvas that rides in the track on the radar arch.  The crack is about 3 inches long by a quarter inch.  Any tips on the best way to fix this before it gets worse?  I’m going to call some upholstery companies to see if they can patch or replace.

'03 Rinker 312 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's going to have to be replaced.  Any temporary fix like clear vinyl tape won't last long and won't look good.  A good canvas shop should be able to replace the glass
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news is that Sunbrella can last decades, the bad news is that stitching, zippers, windows and velcro do not so periodic maintenance is needed. Hard to tell from the pic, I cant tell if the black fabric attached to the zipper ripped open, or just the stitching rotted and separated. If the material ripped then the zipper needs replaced. If it is just the stitching came open then its a very easy and quick repair at a sail maker or canvas shop. I would try to find a boat canvas shop or a sailmaker because they will use better coated thread to deal with the UV.
    I am able to sew and have access to a machine and just re stitched half of my 10 year old canvas. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    RamkerRamker Member Posts: 32
    Thank you.  It's actually the plastic piece that is cracked that rides in the channel.  Attached is another picture looking up at radar arch.  The left side is the radar arch, then the channel, then the plastic piece that rides in the channel that one side of the zipper is sewn to then all the way to the right is the other size of the zipper sewn to the canvas.
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    A canvas shop can replace the track on the boat? Noticed mine starting to crack in places when I put canvas up. May have to do same thing next season
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    You can get a replacement track from a shop that sells canvas supplies such as RNR Marine

http://rnr-marine.com/images/Flex-A-Rail_300x300.gif
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would need to replace the PVC track yourself which is super easy. Series of screws through the track in to the arch. I've bought that track from sailrite.com 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 on Sailrite.com. They will have everything you need and their support is superb. As @Liberty44140 said, if it's just the track, it should be super easy.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Replacing the track is an easy do it yourself job.  I def echo what everyone is saying about finding a canvas shop.  I take mine in all the time.  One year they replaced the eisenglass, another year they simply restiched the entire thing.  The thread was failing and restitching will easily give me another 5-10 yrs of life..another year it was to replace zippers.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    RamkerRamker Member Posts: 32
    I was able to epoxy the crack and I think that is going to do the trick, at least temporarily.  We'll see how it goes.