Rinker Boat ID

Hey all!  I hope this is the right spot for a Boat ID request. 
This just popped up locally, and he's saying it's a "70s rinker fiberglass boat".    It looks like a fun solo speedboat, and I wouldn't mind a fun project for the summer...   Anyone have a bead on more info?   
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!! That looks like a great project!! Not many people on here are going to have info on that boat but maybe @Alswagg does??
    2008 330EC
  • SauerkrautSauerkraut Member Posts: 15
    aero3113 said:
    Welcome to the forum!! That looks like a great project!! Not many people on here are going to have info on that boat but maybe @Alswagg does??
    Hey, thanks Aero!  I know it's a bit older of a boat, and heck, I'm not even sure it's a rinker... But I've got fingers crossed.   Would be nice to know what to look for when checking it out. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the name on the side?
    @Handymans342 , I’m pretty sure it says RinkerBuilt.
    2008 330EC
    Man, there is NOT a ton of info on these prop twisters...   Besides finding two ads for them in an august 25th 1974 copy of the Indianapolis star, I've got NOTHING on them!

Looks like a rather sleek boat that could get some speed. I'm hoping the obscurity is due to just a crazy low production run and not quality issues.   Is there a different forum you guys would recommend that might have more info?

Alswagg, I'll let you know when I know!  Seller's being a bit mysterious, and told me to give him a ring this weekend to discuss.

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with any Rinkerbuilt groups.  The oldest boats on this forum are typically late 90's.  There is a Rinker group on Facebook, but I think it's similar.  

@Alswagg is our go-to guy for questions like this, as he spent part of his career designing boats for Rinker.

No matter what happens, if you buy this boat, we want to see pictures!
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That boat restored with a 150 Merc would scream. I don’t like the color though. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be a cool project boat. Where is it located? 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Well boys, I have a sad update to this.  Paid $150 for the trailer as I need one for up north, and the boat came with it. No title, or bill of sale.  All stickers and markings have been either removed or faded over the years, but I think I can make out the last registration numbers on the side based on residue.
    Unsure of what I'm able to do in this situation besides let the boat rot in a junkyard... Going to chat with the DNR tomorrow for options.  Would happily donate it to the last owner if they wanted to do something with it.

Any advice?
    Are you saying it's not worthy of being restored?
    edited April 2021
    Ah, sorry for the confusion.  I would love to take a shot at restoring it, but if I can't get a title, I don't see the point. Going to figure out that part tomorrow, but without a title or bill of sale, I'm not optimistic.   Stringers/transom need replacing, but hull overall looks to be in good condition for a boat it's age.  

And Aero was correct, it was indeed "rinkerbuilt" on the side. Good eye! 
    Because you bought it for scrap, I think you should be able to get it registered.  What state do you live in?
    LaRea said:
    Because you bought it for scrap, I think you should be able to get it registered.  What state do you live in?
    I don't know, this is new territory for me!  It definitely hasn't run in the past 20+ years. Was going to call the dmv today, but it's a 45min wait.  

Live in WI
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that the boat has a title? I know that in PA the state didn’t start titling boats until 1999/2000. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    Dedicated build thread for sure.  Rinkerbuilt is under-represented here, but you'll get lots of good advice.

BTW Great Lakes Skipper has Rinkerbuilt decals for $20.
    https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/rinker-boat-decals-rinkerbuilt-syracuse-indiana-white-11-1-2-inch-2pc
    Will toss up a build thread this weekend after I get her cleaned out and have some juicy pics.   
    I do custom pens, and have a fair bit of resin casting equipment. I'm going to try and cast a replacement set of badges as one of mine is still intact.  

You guys keep saying "Rinkerbuilt". Was this the company name back in the 70s? Or was it an inhouse custom shop like Nismo to Nissan or Mazdaspeed to Mazda.
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Just saw Polaris quarterly results 😡 pretty sure the Rinker brand could have stayed open. 

Can't wait to see what you put in there for power. Hopefully you do something like this, obviously 711 c.i. is insane but you could do something small and common like a small little 454 😉
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes hull ID's can't be seen very well, but a stencil will reveal what you can't see.  Take a blank, thin piece of paper, hold it over those numbers, and lightly color over it with a pencil.  You'd be amazed how clear it will be on the stencil.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Yep!  Got the ID and registered the boat just fine.   And y'all are teasing me with these Inboard pics/discussions..  Sadly it's an outboard, which in my opinion looks nowhere near as clean
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    That's where you're wrong @Sauerkraut. It is whatever you want it to be. Money can do some great things with your imagination 😜. Just put one of those new Mercury V12 600hp outboards on it. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    Or @Sauerkraut go electric..... you have a ton of options.......
    2008 330EC
    OK, forget the new thread ... change the title of this one, and edit the opening chapter.  This part of the conversation has to be saved for posterity.
    Or leave it as is and gets nice set of oars!
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    We are all a bunch of kids just waiting excitedly to see that Rinkerbuilt get restored!  I think she'll look great with an outboard on it!  Definitely need to have the metal flake paint on it!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

edited April 2021
    @Sauerkraut if you keep this thread instead of starting a new one, change the title to include "Rinkerbuilt" so it will show up that way in search engines.  (Go to the start of the thread and click the gear icon at top right.)
    Thanks LaRea
    I'll be starting a fresh thread tomorrow with all the pics.  I'd like to break the restoration up into parts(transom/stringers/body/etc) and want to keep things flowing from there.  Will be laying out what I plan to do, and happily accepting suggestions/modifications from the professionals.  This is the first time I'm tackling anything like this, and could definitely use some support!