Battery selector switch not working properly

BfieldBfield Member Posts: 3
Hi,  I have a 2001 rinker fv 270 when the battery selector switch is in the off position there is still power I can even start the boat if I wanted. Looking for a wiring schematic to determine if the previous owner screwed up the wiring, if the switch is bad, or am I just missing something 

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,730 mod
    Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like something is mis-wired.  The battery switch should disconnect power to the starter motor.  The battery charger wouldn't have enough juice to start the engine, but -- what if you turn off the charger?

Here's a schematic from a 2007 280, which should be similar.

• BfieldBfield Member Posts: 3
    Thanks I will give that a shot and report back
    This is a safety issue that's worth tracking down.  A direct connection from the battery to the starter is a bad idea, but maybe it seemed okay to a past owner.  We're here to help you sort it out!
  • awesomeameawesomeame Member Posts: 11
    LaRea said:
    Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like something is mis-wired.  The battery switch should disconnect power to the starter motor.  The battery charger wouldn't have enough juice to start the engine, but -- what if you turn off the charger?

Here's a schematic from a 2007 280, which should be similar.

Hey where did you find those great wiring diagrams? Need those for my captiva 262!

matt
    edited June 2021
    They have been floating around on the forum for years.  I've only seen them for a 280 and 342.