Garboard Plugs - Teflon Tape or Naked?

TonyG13TonyG13 ChicagoMember Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
How do you all install your Garboard (bilge drain) plugs for the season? Talking about boats in-water all season, non-trailer boats. Do you use any Teflon tape / pipe dope or just go "naked"?

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always used pipe dope.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYMember Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually put some sealant on it. 
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Member Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve usually done Teflon tape 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• TonyG13TonyG13 ChicagoMember Posts: 780 ✭✭✭
    edited April 27
    Thanks for the confirmations.

When my new yard pulled the boat last fall there was no tape/dope evident upon plug removal. (Old yard always put the plug in right before launch.) Had a wet bilge all last summer and thought it may be the plug seeping since I couldn't find any other possible intrusion points. And none evident during my winter inspections.

So I got a new bronze plug (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FJGCRDG) and will install it myself with some tape or dope before launch next week - and see if I still get water this season.  
    @TonyG13 , you might want to consider removing the entire plug assembly and reseal it and the screws with 5200.

2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaMember Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27
    Naked.  Tighten it and fugettaboutit.  Of all the places water might come in, the garboard plug is #93 on the list.  (But teflon tape won't hurt anything.)
    Post edited by LaRea on
    edited April 28
    Thanks @aero3113 - Good advise, but I launch Monday and have a bunch of checklist items to do. So I'll try the least invasive solution and if it doesn't work, I'll add this to next year's list.

@LaRea - "(But teflon tape won't hurt anything.)" -- After everyone's thoughts, that's my thinking also. It can't hurt - and if it was a problem, it will help.
    Post edited by TonyG13 on
    When I used Teflon tape on the garboard it seemed like it wouldn’t want to tighten, it felt like I could keep screwing it in.
    2008 330EC
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks GermantownMember Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Teflon tape
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    I just installed mine with some 5200. When you go to remove it in the fall, it comes right out. No issues removing it. 

2008 330EC
  • GrahamuGrahamu Port Credit, ON, CDAMember Posts: 250 ✭✭
    2 wraps of Teflon tape, don't use 5200, use 4200 if you use sealant.
    I’ve never had any issues with it @Grahamu. I know it says permanent, but with a threaded item it comes right out. I think it’s more permanent if two flat surfaces are sealed together.
    2008 330EC
    @aero3113, it's a matter of preference I guess, we launch many boats for customers and always use Teflon tape and never have an issue with removing the plug at haulout.
  • mattiemattie Sarnia, OntarioMember Posts: 726 ✭✭✭
    Teflon here.....

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    I never use anything but I also have a little bit of water thats always in the bilge... maybe thats my problem.... gonna try some teflon this year
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭✭
    No tape, I only launch for the weekend.

Teflon tape if I left it in. Only because it's less messy than pipe dope and cant spill in the door storage of my SUV 
    Went with the Teflon just because it's the cleanest of the options. We'll see if it makes any difference. Thank for everyone's .02!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganMember Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Metal pipe threads (NPT)  need pipe dope, not teflon tape for sealing the threads. PVC/plastic uses teflon tape. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • skennellyskennelly ChicagoMember Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond - Never heard that...in fact I've read that teflon tape is recommended.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭✭
    Luckily there isn't a ton of psi like you'd have in a hot water system so Teflon tape works. 
  • raybo3raybo3 East Boston MAAdministrator Posts: 4,899 admin
    edited May 2
    @skennelly I took a class in plumbing and they said teflon tape for PVC and plastic's and paste's were for metal's. As far as the plugs go, I thought they were supposed to be bare because the plug housing is bonded and the plug needed to be bonded also. Using a paste (or tape, I guess) would insulate the bond causing the plug to corrode. Not sure if this is true. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     [email protected]
    I have never seen a bonded garbord plug
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Holland, MichiganMember Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The tread design on NPT locks as you tighten, but leaves open areas in the threads by design, hence the pipe dope to seal.  The plug to housing would still electrically bonded to each other, I’ve not seen them electrically bonded to the boat system either. True you have little water pressure to deal with, I just hate leaks. lol

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 East Boston MAAdministrator Posts: 4,899 admin
    Not sure my boat has it bonded but my Carver was bonded. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     [email protected]