Options

Duel Battery Isolator Problem

Last year at some point I had to switch from using Battery 1 or 2 to using both batteries just to get any power. I replaced the switch but it didn't fix the problem. Last weekend I replaced the isolator and it fixed until I tried to start the engine. As soon as I tried to start the engine I heard a "pop" sound and now I'm right back where I started, using both batteries to get any power. The batteries are new. Please help.

Rinker 2006 270 EC

Comments

• Options
    RinkerRayRinkerRay Member Posts: 8
    Possible check the alternator voltage output. Could be over voltage and causing the diodes in the isolator to fail. also double check the wiring on the isolator that you have everything connected to the correct post.
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Did the pop come from the isolator.  Have you tested the isolator. If you have blown the isolator it would mean a high current going through it, probably the starter current. If so you have cables misconnected. Start at the batteries and trace them. Somebody on here probably has a wiring diagram to follow. Dont forget to check the main negative engine cables for low resistance and tight connections
    Post edited by Grahamu on