Options

Show us your worst grounding.... or what's the worst grounded boat you've ever seen?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
This happened today and is pretty much the worst I've ever seen with my own eyes. The story is they lost one of their motors on the way out. The channel is VERY tight. 

Whoops!!

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow.  I don't have pictures, but in Chicago there is a pier that gets submerged in a pretty busy part of the lake.  There's at least a dozen boats that hit it every season.  Looks similar to your picture when it happens.  Called "dime pier"
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they not stick some big a$$ buoys on that thing?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Do they not stick some big a$$ buoys on that thing?
    You would think they would at least put something on it to be visible when it’s under water. Doesn’t make sense they would just leave it with no markings.....
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @aero3113 @Willhound

Nope.  It's a debate every year amongst boaters...Authorities don't make any effort to add markings

Seasoned boaters in Chicago know about the pier...it's usually the inexperienced or drunk boaters hitting it and the experienced boaters think you are dumb if you hit it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I get the experienced boaters part, but everyone was inexperienced at one time or another, or maybe a visitor. Most of us on here would likely be all over our charts before attempting a harbour entry like that I suppose. I consider myself "experienced" but I'd be leary of entering a large harbour like Chicago or even Toronto. That being said, Toronto Harbour requires a "Powered Vessel Operator's Permit", basically a harbour license to operate a vessel in the inner harbour. Part of the test involves hazards, markers, large vessel traffic etc. But in Ontario you need to be licensed and insured up the wazoo just to take your dog for a walk.... :D
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    But in Ontario you need to be licensed and insured up the wazoo just to take your dog for a walk.... :D
    @Willhound, we can't even leave the house!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    @Handymans342 - Nice treehouse
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Handy is the first picture from the movie Mudd?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I don’t know
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    skennelly said:
    @aero3113 @Willhound

Nope.  It's a debate every year amongst boaters...Authorities don't make any effort to add markings
    Warning buoys have marked Dime Pier for the last two seasons. They were placed during the extremely high water levels when the pier was completely submerged. In normal water level years the pier is clearly visible and usually home to hundreds of gulls. 

Here's a pic where you can see the buoy markers in place...

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    My worst grounding was not captured on photo or video.  I clipped a sand bar at 30 MPH in the 342.  It didn't  do any damage ... OR SO I THOUGHT!  Three weeks later, the gimbal ring broke in half, and almost sank the boat.  Since then, I haven't gone within 200 yards of that sand bar.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t know
    It is, Mud is a pretty good movie with Matthew McConaughey. 

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    So, on the next river south there are islands that, over the years slowly went under water. We were anchored a couple years ago and I saw a 36ish Sea Ray hit it on plane.  I went over to make sure everyone was ok. Water was no more than 6 inches deep.  Boat was an inboard.  They waited for high tide and has sea tow pull them off. I offered them food and drinks and onto our boat, but the entire family sat on the crooked boat for 6 hours.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express