Rinker Fiesta Vee 242 Props

Hi guys I have a 2000 Rinker Fiesta Vee 242 with 5.0L engine. I bought this boat towards the end of last summer and I noticed when I had a few people on board it struggled to come up on plane. It was ok with me and another person, but anymore than that and it struggled. I know this boat is a little under powered so I was hoping to change the prop this season to try and help this issue. The current prop I have is part # 16440A45P16 I'm wondering what others use or might suggest to increase acceleration. Thanks!

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What outdrive do you have?
  • Sprint07Sprint07 Member Posts: 10
    I believe it's the Alpha 1
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an aluminum prop.  You'd see some gains going to a stainless prop.  Take a look at Hill Marine (www.hillmarine.com).  Call them and they can help you pick the right product.  They will also let you try the prop and exchange it if the performance isn't what you need.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best start is to know your wide open throttle rpm Vs the Mercury WOT rpm numbers.  If you cannot hit the Mercury numbers you are over propped. Every 1” less of pitch will increase your engine rpm by 200. That will help drive the right pitch selection. 

If you need a new prop, highly recommend Hill Marine. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you’re trimming the drive and trim tabs correctly also.
    2008 330EC
    aero3113 said:
    Make sure you’re trimming the drive and trim tabs correctly also.
    I played around with this a lot last year. Also went through carb, fuel filter, plugs etc. It always felt 'lazy' to me but I'm new to boating. Was just trying to get the max I could out of it even if prop helps slightly it's better than nothing.
    Search the threads here on Hill Marine.  Their customers speak highly of them.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hill Marine props were the best bang for my boat buck, period. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    YYZRC said:
    The Hill Marine props were the best bang for my boat buck, period. 
    Agree
    2008 330EC
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I just bought the same boat , you have to take a look at the prop by the hub its stamped with the diameter and pitch .The previous owner said when he got it it had a 25 X 21 prop on it and wouldn't get on plane , he changed it to a 15 X 17 prop with better results .Im hoping to launch maybe this weekend Ill let you know what I think 
    Yes it's a 16x16 which sounds like it should be pretty close to what I need. I was thinking of switching to stainless instead of the aluminum. Maybe going to a 14.5 or 15 pitch as I'm usually boating with 3-4 people, coolers, ice, drinks etc.
    edited May 2021
    @Sprint07 think about going to 4 blades instead of 3. Like suggested, contact Hill Marine, they will point you to the correct prop.
    2008 330EC
    Best start is to know your wide open throttle rpm Vs the Mercury WOT rpm numbers.  If you cannot hit the Mercury numbers you are over propped. Every 1” less of pitch will increase your engine rpm by 200. That will help drive the right pitch selection. 

If you need a new prop, highly recommend Hill Marine. 

The one I have now is 16 pitch right? Seems already pretty low doesn't it?
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    ill let you know how the prop is hopefully by Monday Ive read on the forum here someone went with a 14 X 17 four bald prop but he never posted results 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sprint, you are not answering the questions
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Hill marine probably can't help you if you don't know what rpm you're hitting.  

I also have a single motor under powered boat.  The hill marine 4 blade big cow prop plus a hydrofoil made a huge difference in plane time.   I also have other items to make the bow heavier like 150 plus ft of chain in the anchor locker rather than rope.  Shifting weight forward is always a huge help.  

I didnt go down very far pitch wise from what my boat came with (3 blade stainless solas) vs what hill marine sold me, i think I went from a 19 to a 17 but i cannot remember exact specifics. I tried another solas 3 blade aluminum 16p and she would max out the rpm without getting on plane, the wrong prop was purchased that time as my tachometer was not calibrated properly.  That led to the prop guy sending me the wrong one based on the improper information I gave him.  

I lost almost 1 mph going to the hill marine 5 blade over my 3 blade prop but plane time and low speed manners improved 10x so it was an easy sacrifice. My only issue with them was ship time.  Took them nearly a week before they shipped the part they said was on the shelf once i paid and then another week to arrive.  Covid plus summer busy season.  
    Sprint, you are not answering the questions
    Which questions? The only thing I'm unsure of is the RPM as it was last summer. It took a long time to get on plane and I think once it did plane I was really close to correct RPM maybe just slightly under. Like I mentioned it works well without a load, once I get people and coolers on board it struggles. I have been moving people to the bow and that works but it's not ideal.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    You need those rpm numbers
    edited May 2021
    @Sprint07 what he means is:  you have find out what RPM the engine turns at full throttle.  If your RPM at wide-open throttle is too low, you need a prop with shorter pitch to increase the RPM.  If you can't run wide-open throttle without over-revving the engine, you need a prop with longer pitch to reduce the RPM.  

Next time you go out, crank that boat up to full throttle and see what the engine does.  That's the info you need when you call Hill Marine.