Options

Marine mechanic question

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
Maybe I am being a little picky on this, but every time the yard mechanics works on my boat they leave the figergass floor full of foot prints and greasy finger marks on the vinyl. I keep my boat very clean and I would hope that they would leave it the way they found it. What has your experience been?  

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one time a mechanic touched my boat they covered all the surfaces and that wasn't even a very good shop. They should definitely be putting covers over things. Think about when you take your car in and they always cover the seats in plastic and put down a paper floor mat, they even do that for my pile of junk commuter car I had. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a complaint
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Tell them you expect it to be as clean as they got it. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    I agree. Tell them you expect it to be as clean as they got it. 
    It should be as clean or cleaner after they work on it!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they do good work for a fair price? I would be annoyed as well but as long as the “damage” is just some extra clean-up I would move on. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Disagree, good work for a fair price includes cleaning up after you. When I did side electrical jobs when in the trade putting in lights, outlets and fans I always cleaned up after me, no drywall/brick dust left behind and in many cases like @aero3113 said, better than it was.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have complained to shops about this for sure. with pictures. It's a huge problem when people disrespect something you try so hard to keep clean. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    You have a valid complaint.  If they are winterizing, cut them some slack.  Not during boating season.  
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The yard mechanic does good work but they are pricey. I’ll probably mention it to them, but I’d like to keep the good relationship we have so I’ll be tactful. 

• Options
    McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Id be annoyed as well. My mechanic is a buddy but he wipes down all his customers boats after working on them. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We call my our mechanic the ninja because there is zero trace of him whatsoever. It can be tough to know he has been to your boat unless he leaves you the old part as a spare or you get a bill. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    That’s what I expect but it’s not the case unfortunately. 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    My mechanic leaves greasy finger prints, footsteps, blood.... oh wait thats me. Premium prices expect premium service. I will say though especially with cars there is a very different customer service experience between Porsche, infiniti and Chrysler. The older i get the more i appreciate paying for and getting treated well. Guess thats why i tip bartenders so well.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pay $125/hr. for a Volvo diesel certified mechanic who can plug in. Our marina has an on staff mechanic who is $90/hr and is excellent with mercruiser but is not certified and can’t plug in. I think those are the going rates but I don’t know. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    125 a hour
    so busy and short staffed = last week he told me he had 300 work orders left
    does a great job = comes right back if any issues = could be neater
    i am happy
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    buy the guy a sheet... hand it to him and tell him a good idea would be to not leave grease and grime everywhere- that it will serve him and his business well, and that a reputation of cleanliness is about as equal a value as competency twirling those wrenches.  be sincere and seemingly interested in helping him out.  that's how YOU advantage the situation and endear yourself to him, which is not a bad endearment to have come mid season and something goes wrong with your boat.