Options

342 Outdrive tie bar

McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
Anyone run a tie bar on their cruiser? I have a little bit of play in one of my drives and hoping a tie bar will tighten it up 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will be some play in the drives, that is normal.  If you have wear problems, a tiebar is not the fix.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    A tie bar on the outside?  Not needed with the horsepower we run.  If there's play in one of the drives, check for a water leak in the steering pin (a.k.a. the transom assembly death spiral).  
  • Options
    I see the steering pin move with the drive. Is there something inside the engine compartment on the steering rack that could be adjusted? I don’t see any leaks or indication that it’s leaking but I’m getting the bellows and everything done so will ask my mechanic to take a closer look. It’s not crazy amount of play maybe half inch 
  • Options
    Do you have constant water in the bilge?

Simple test.  Get in the engine room with somebody in the water under the swim platform.  Watch the tie bar as they move the drive back and forth.  I'm guessing the bar won't move.  That would suggest you're in the transom assembly death spiral.
  • Options
    1/2” of drive movement measured at the most aft part would be normal. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Do you have constant water in the bilge?

Simple test.  Get in the engine room with somebody in the water under the swim platform.  Watch the tie bar as they move the drive back and forth.  I'm guessing the bar won't move.  That would suggest you're in the transom assembly death spiral.
    There is always a little bit of water in the bilge but nothing crazy or anything that kicks on the pump. Ive had the same play in the drive for 4 years and it doesn't appear to be getting worse. I will probably just do the bellows and everything that goes with them and start preparing for transom assembly in the next year or two 
  • Options
    IF you do transom assemblies, use the SeaCore ones.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Yup ... in fresh water, a steering pin leak can last for a few years before it gets dangerous. 

This photo shows the real danger sign: corrosion on the steering arm that connects to the tie bar in the engine room.  If the steering arm isn't shiny gloss black paint, you've probably entered the death spiral.  Sorry if this sounds like gloom and doom, but I've posted elsewhere about what happened on my boat when one of the steering arms lost its grip on the steering pin.