Options

About how fast should she go?

ranhoodranhood Member Posts: 7
Gang!  I've got the 22'6 Captiva R-1 package 2007.  Powered by Merc 350MAG turning a High-5 prop mounted on Alpha1.  Most of my lakes are "high" altitude around 5500ft.  I bought it brand new and she's always run like a gem!!  But... I don't think she's ever gone over 30 - 32 mph as measured by PerfectPass (which I believe is very accurate).   Been considering props as I see that as about the only .  Trimmed out and on nice water, that's about as fast as she goes.  Hole-shot as you'd guess is awesome.  What should I expect?? Would a 3 blade SS add much top end?  Set me straight someone!!  Tks!!!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the engine rpm’s at your max speed?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    RPM is about 5000.  I get a little nervous running that high of rpm, so I rarely hit that and back off pretty quickly.  Too timid??
  • Options
    Is there more throttle to be had at 5,000 rom.  The 350 MAG MPI has a max rpm range of 4,600-5,000 rpm.  

If more throttle is available you are under propped. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    There is more throttle - I've hit 5500 briefly - never hit the "limiter"  HeII... not even positive I have one on there.  Going from memory but I think it 19" prop.  I need to do some more homework it seems -  Thank you kindly for your tips!!
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change your prop so top speed and max rpm are equal.  A call to hill marine would set you up with a choice prop

My fv235 cuddy cabin packed for a weekend aboard living on the hook with a tired late 80s carbed 350 would hit 35 mph maxing out at 4800 ish rpm. 
  • Options
    Definately way under propped. +++ on Hill Marine. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Very much appreciated gents!!  De-winterizing this weekend so I'll make careful notes  (you'd think after 14yrs I would've done this long ago!!) Besides a bit slow on top - she's been fun-n-ez.  I'll post findings.  Tks again!!
  • Options
    With the 5 blade prop I bet it gets on plane like a rocket and could pull an entire football team up on skis!  The only people i know who use big props like that use their boat 90% of the time pulling kids behind the boat.  They also spend my yearly salary on fuel.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PickleRick. I didnt know you made 6 figures!
  • Options
    I do if you include the change
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The R1 package came with a 5 blade prop for the wakeboarding crowd. you can probably stay on plane at low speeds along with that great hole shot. If you are not utilizing the tow sport aspect of the boat, you could go with a 3 blade 21 pitch, which would have been standard on the 226 Captiva without the R1 package. That would give you decent hole shot and more top end.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    With the 5 blade prop I bet it gets on plane like a rocket and could pull an entire football team up on skis!  The only people i know who use big props like that use their boat 90% of the time pulling kids behind the boat.  They also spend my yearly salary on fuel.
    P-Rick, you nailed it!! There are times when I’d like to pick up the pace, simple to swap single prop at lake  (it’s not like I’d use any more fuel) Tks much!!
  • Options
    The R1 package came with a 5 blade prop for the wakeboarding crowd. you can probably stay on plane at low speeds along with that great hole shot. If you are not utilizing the tow sport aspect of the boat, you could go with a 3 blade 21 pitch, which would have been standard on the 226 Captiva without the R1 package. That would give you decent hole shot and more top end.
    I should have a spare anyway, right?!  I’m in the market. Thank you sir!
  • Options
    Always keep a spare,  you'll never need it if you keep a spare.
  • Options
    Oh... I''m stealin that one!  And I'm gonna pretend it was mine!!!
  • Options
    ballcapballcap Member Posts: 1
    Old thread but I have a 2007 Rinker 226 350 mag mpi. I switched to an Enertia 22 pitch SS prop. Wide open full tank with the wife it hits 50.2-50.6 mph gps. Sea level altitude. When I pull kids tubing or adults water-skiing I put on a the Rev 4 19 pitch SS. I also have a Rev 4 18 pitch if fully loaded with 2 families going out.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50 sounds pretty quick to me. My 270 will cruize around 28 which for me is fast enough. Loaded it has issues getting on plane which I may address but top end speed is just not a thing for me in my boating area...
  • Options
    A 270 deserves a big block motor, even loaded just for the day with a family of 4 a 383 will be giving it all she's got.   

A 226 with a 350 vs a 270 with a 350 is like comparing a Vega with a 350 to a 3500 dually with a 350.    

The 350 in the 226 is a perfect match. 

Mercruiser sold a ton of engine packages to boat manufacture that were well under powered but did well when the boat was completely empty with 20 gallons of fuel.  Just you and the salesman smiling, possibly not knowing that your top speed would drop almost 10 mph once you load the yeti and a couple crotch goblins 
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    The 350 MAG and Bravo 3 combination for my 232 cuddy, has been a match made in heaven with my 24's for props.  The lake I frequent is semi-high elevation at 3800ft.  If I spent time on the desert lakes in AZ I would definitely run 26's, but the 24's have me at about 4800-4900rpm at full throttle, at 48mph.  Hole shot is great, and economy as well.   I think a call to Hill Marine is in order, and they will point you in the right direction.  Just have your RPM's in mind before you call, that is the main thing they will ask, along with boating type, and loaded gear in the boat. 
    2000 Captiva 232