Wireless charging for phones, etc.

mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
Got the stereo guy revamping the system on our boat.

I was thinking of getting him to wire in a wireless charging pad somewhere, on the entertainment island or in the glovebox or....in the gunnels. 
Anybody have experience with some good quality charging pads?  

Failing that I may get him to install some USB ports here & there.
246BR, 276BR, H310BR current

Comments

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭✭
    For me I would prefer USB ports. Charging pads are great but most the time your phones cover will render it useless,if you have a cover which I do. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Android pad works fine with my cover. Depends on the cover. I'd be more worried about forgetting it and it sliding off somewhere. The phone that is. Pad might be ok in the cabin below deck.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have three charging pads. 2 for my Galaxy, and 1 for my wifes iPhone. The phones all have covers ... the charging works. 

I'd say the only real thing to look at is how finicky the placement is. On 2 of the pads, the phone has to be in the right position for the charging to work (not overly finicky ... but needs some attention when placing phone on).  The other one is more forgiving. 

However, if you're boating ... don't you think a plugged connection would be way more robust?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,535 mod
    I have this iOttie charger at the helm.  It has motorized arms that actually grab the phone and center it when you put it in the cradle.  It seems very sturdy.  (I don't use a cover on my phone.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RBC21Z6

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I have this iOttie charger at the helm.  It has motorized arms that actually grab the phone and center it when you put it in the cradle.  It seems very sturdy.  (I don't use a cover on my phone.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RBC21Z6

What a great time to be alive! I didn’t know a motorized phone grabber existed and now I need one, obviously. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • SauerkrautSauerkraut Member Posts: 15
    VERY situational, but it would be pretty slick if you could epoxy one of these in 2162

Replacing it would obviously be a bear, but upshot is it'd be 100% waterproof. 
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    I have a double USB port that replaced the cigarette lighter at the helm and the same unit in the cabin next to the dining table. I charge my phone, tablets, sports watch etc. On a long run both tablets are plugged in for VesselView and Navionics charts.
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    Grahamu said:
    I have a double USB port that replaced the cigarette lighter at the helm and the same unit in the cabin next to the dining table. I charge my phone, tablets, sports watch etc. On a long run both tablets are plugged in for VesselView and Navionics charts.
    That’s what I’m gonna do. There are sporadic 12V sockets around the boat. I’ll switch them out with USB ports. Keep one old fashion 12V socket.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,535 mod
    edited May 2021
    Here's the iOttie charger in action.
    https://youtu.be/lpbpdPgi0lg

Post edited by LaRea on