Options

Old metal junction box causes fire: 1995 F/V 265

kwallingkwalling Member Posts: 3
Greetings, I experienced a fire at a junction box in the engine compartment last week. I saw one old post (2006) where another member had the same problem. One of the folks mentioned the junction boxes have been required to be made of plastic ever since 2007, and I am sure the old black connectors do not meet ABYC standards.  Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve it? I already contacted Rinker to see if they have a replacement junction box and cables but have not heard back from them.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad the fire didn't get out of control.  

In case you didn't know -- Rinker went out of business a few months ago.  You probably won't hear back from them.  

Do you know what caused the fire?  I'm guessing corrosion on the connector pins caused the connector to heat up and burn.  
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    The connectors are Anderson PowerPole connectors. Anderson Powerpole and SB Connectors | Powerwerx The boxes are just standard junction boxes.  I have seen these throughout my boat for the 110v stuff but not in my engine compartment.   
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    LaRea, thanks. I was lucky to catch it before it burnt the whole boat to the ground, exactly why we all have fire extinguishers aboard. I am happier it didn't catch fire while I was sleeping on board in the marina.  I did find out the Rinker brand was discontinued, bummer. It looks like it may have gotten moisture on it or maybe the connection was loose. Corrosion is another good guess. The plastic inside the connectors is brittle and one small piece broke off an unburnt plug exposing a male blade when I took it off.  The metal box is rusty and the whole thing is 26 years old so i guess it is time for an upgrade. This could have turned out much worse. Going to replace the charger with a new NOCO while I am at it.
  • Options
    davidbrooks, thanks for the info. I am definitely going to look up the Anderson Powerpole and SB connectors.  I was surprised to find these connectors in the engine compartment, they are not even remotely water-resistant, much less waterproof and they are pushing 110v. Sheesh...  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I had that connector burn up on my hot water heater. IMO no need for a "plug" there so I just spliced the wires together and never a problem since. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com