Options

Water leaks at fuel cooler/pump

Need a little information on 2007 350 with dual 350 Mag motors  have a small leak from a cooler hose that goes to the fuel cooler/ pump on the side of the engine.  Hoses look to be a bit tight but thinking as retired tech I can handle the job.  Question is can it be done with the boat in the water?  Without the engine running the pumps in the I/O should not let water flow in correct ?

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Water shouldn't flow in but it's less about the pump moving water and more about above or below water line. If you have some plugs ready just in case you should be fine. I did my impeller while in the water which is well below the water line and I didn't even need the plugs. 

Different engine my impeller is on the front of the harmonic balancer. 
    Post edited by Aqua_Aura on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    It can be done in the water.  FYI, there has been a bulletin out for many years about those fuel coolers leaking (also one about issues with paint coming off inside and clogging the fuel regulators).  If you do a search on here, there are some good details with pictures of how to fix the problem you have.  The plastic insert into the fuel cooler is cracked.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I thought the paint issue was just on the Volvo pumps, is it also the mercs?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I thought the paint issue was just on the Volvo pumps, is it also the mercs?

Yes, I went thru the problem twice, both with Mercs.  Not much fun.  It seems ethanol caused the issues.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I got a replacement pump that wasn't painted inside on my Volvo before it became a problem 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭