Options

Two questions - windlass and A/C

Hey there - I am new 2008 260EC owner, and unfortunately I didn't get any sort of manuals, etc with the boat (at least, I haven't found them hidden on the boat somewhere yet! And don't worry, I bought it from a reputable marina who was the original dealer for the boat, so I am not concerned from that perspective). So for now I have 2 questions:

1) Windlass - it seems there is no safety chain on the rode on the factory installed windlass? Is this necessary? I would though a safety would be good while underway, but would also take the weight off the windlass while anchored? There is a cleat installed in the anchor locker astern of the windlass, which doesn't seem to make sense to tie off the rode when anchored. Thoughts? 

2) A/C - is there a seacock that needs to be opened somewhere in the bilge before using the A/C? (Note we don't have a generator, so A/C will only be used when on shore power). Any directions on where I can find the seacock and the strainer would be helpful so I can check on it before using the A/C.

Maybe some links to the manuals online would be helpful. I have looked before and only found some generic manuals that didn't seem to help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭
    Adding a safety chain while underway would give you some peace of mind in case the windlass just let go for some reason.  It would be easy to rig up but i am not aware of it being an issue.  Tying the rode off on the cleat though does make sense as it takes the pressure off the windlass while anchored.  If you get a strong enough wind or waves it will continue to pull out line if it isn't tied off.  Plus it is just a good habit to get into.  On my 342 the seacock to the AC is under the cushions in the aft bed.  Just behind the area where the shower is and the same location as the seacock for the head.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    randallh82w8randallh82w8 Member Posts: 34
    Yes, I should add that for the windlass, we are only ever anchored during the day in very calm and relatively shallow water. So maybe there isn't a lot of strain on the windlass when anchored.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the manuals just search online for your model numbers and you'll find them. I did find the toilet manual in my files. Still searching for the AC manual. 

I would recommend getting the AC manual as this has some "hidden" features you have to press combinations of buttons to get to. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AC manual
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The A/C seacock is just aft of the steps under the aft cabin mattress. You will fond the shower sump and the seacock for the toilet as well in the same compartment.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    randallh82w8randallh82w8 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks everyone! I will be checking this out in the next day or two on the boat.
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes the AC seawater pump does not prime after being out of the water. With AC running on cool or heat cycle check for water coming out of the boat. On my 342 it is at the bow stbd side. The unit should shut down if there is no water flow.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    As @Grahamu said it may need to be primed. Take her for a run, I have to do that with mine each time out of storage before she’ll pump after through.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/