2009 Rinker 340 Express Charging Issue

rgiglio91rgiglio91 Member Posts: 1
Hi folks,
I’m Russ, and I’m the (proud?) new owner of a Rinker 340. Great boat but in the first run it broke down on us 3 times for all the same issue. After the second time, I replaced both alternators and all batteries, which I learned is not cheap! While underway today, the voltage on the engine display slowly declined until it ultimately led to a break down. When testing the alternator output, brand new alternators are putting out 14.7(ish) volts. At the batteries, I’m not getting that charge. I have the battery switch relay boxes, and I’m really still learning about how the system works. Any chance someone has had this experience and can guide me in the right direction? Thank you!

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like bad isolator
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,730 mod
    Yes - replace the battery isolator.  It looks like the smaller device at the bottom of this picture.  Replace it with an isolator that has two 70-amp inputs and 3 outputs.  The ProMariner ProIsoCharge shown here is a good one, but it's expensive and needs a larger space.  There are others for under $200.  

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that you need to replace the isolator. I have the one above and it works great. Another place to look is at the connections for the batteries at the switch panel. Mine needed tightened. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!