Options

anchor length

How long is my anchor line/ chain for my 342?

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    You are gonna have to pull it out and measure it to be sure. Unless you are the first owner it could of been changed along the way.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    If it's the original, the rode is probably 30' of chain and 150' of rope.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    @apdcop as you probably know having chain as part of your rode helps the anchor lie down and protects against chafing/cutting on the seabed. When setting an anchor I like to have 7 feet of rode for every foot of depth with that measurement starting at the bow pulpit. Some friends feel 5 feet to one foot is a good enough ratio but I like to account for boat wakes and changes in wave height, particularly if anchoring overnight. Also as has been said on this forum before, finding a deep spot and playing-out your entire rode, leaving it for a minute or two then winching it back up allows it spin free taking out twists and kinks. There are also colored tags available from marine stores (like West Marine) that you can insert into your rode to indicate how much has been played-out. there will also be an extensive conversation in the archives where members have compared different shapes and weights of anchors.