Options

New Vibration Issue

skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
Well, finally got my FV270 out on the water with the new hill marine 4x4's 20p. Under 2000 rpm pretty smooth. Between 2500 and 3500 feel a vibration in the wheel and floor. Above 3500 all the way up to 5000 feels pretty smooth without vibration again.
Could this be the new props? Did not have this vibration with the stock B3 22p 3 blades last year.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    @skuter99 , did you time the props when you installed them? I know Hill says they don’t have any data showing that timing makes a difference but it could help.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yes I actually did time them.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    This is straight from Merc:
     MERCRUISER CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE <mercruiser.customer.assistance@mercmarine.com>
    Fri 4/21/2017 10:23 AM

To:
    •  You
    Ray,
    There is no special timing of the props. Service manuals for engines and drives are available from local dealers or by calling our Publications Department at 920-929-5040, option #4. Have your serial number ready when ordering.
    Thanks,
    James
    MerCruiser Consumer Support

2017-00054090

So IMO timing or not you should not have any vibrations. Something else is wrong....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

When was the last time the gimball, alignment and u joints were checked?  
  • Options
    Had a brand new transom assembly installed last August. Alignment and u-joints were done and checked by shop at that point. No vibrations for rest of the season. Put on the new props before launch this year and now have this vibration first time out.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Maybe one of the props is out of balance. Possibly damaged during shipping???
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Swap props back out if possible, at least eliminate the drive most likely if it goes away.
  • Options
    That's what I was wondering. The boxes looked fine but maybe one of the props is not balanced??
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    @raybo3 and @PickleRick are right -- you need to isolate the problem.  If you put the old props back on and there's no vibration, get Hill to replace the 4x4 set.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take them to a local prop shop
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI Almost nobody has the info to prop scan the Hill Marine 4x4’s. Any decent prop shop CAN balance them. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for your input. I am going to re-torque the prop nuts first. If that does not work I will put the B3 props back on to check vibe.
    If no vibe with B3's will give Hill Marine a call.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2x you have the bronze bushings installed & correct!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I believe I do have the bushings correct but will double check
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's possible to install them backwards. They're flared and you wouldn't be able to seat the propeller on the shaft.
  • Options
    Update: pulled the boat, removed the new this year drive shower and removed the Hill 4X4's. Reinstalled and retorqued same props back on and vibration is now gone.
    I am now thinking the vibration may have actually been created by the drive shower
  • Options
    You didn’t reinstall the drive shower or did you? 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I did not reinstall the drive shower
  • Options
    skuter99 said:
    Had a brand new transom assembly installed last August. Alignment and u-joints were done and checked by shop at that point. No vibrations for rest of the season. Put on the new props before launch this year and now have this vibration first time out.
    You left out that important piece of the puzzle!! LoL 
    Glad you have it figured out 👍🏻👍🏻⚓️
    2008 330EC