Options

Shakedown cruise issues

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now that I am 550 miles from my trusty mechanic, we decided to trailer my boat to a local lake for the first cruise of the season. Launched the boat successfully and we were off... well sort of. The engine has a miss and I can’t go over 2000 RPM. No codes on my VesselView so I am thinking fuel. I got E0 fuel at a local station, but it is new to me since I am new to the area. I didn’t change the fuel filter, but a new one is on order and will be here Wednesday. I hope it the filter and not bad gas. I have 45 gallons that I will have to remove if it’s bad fuel. Thoughts??? 
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like a broken record but we had old fuel from the fall 2019 and when we went out in the spring 2020 it ran really bad above 1500. When I checked the fuel you could clearly see large water droplets so I added stabilizer and it broke down the water as I verified by checking the fuel a few days later. Our boat was docked so the continuous rocking helped mix it in. Ran just fine after that so we took it easy and burned down some more then added about 30 gallons to top it off. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and I replaced the fuel filter as well. Order atleast 2 always good to have on hand. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Pulled the filter for the cool fuel and it had 50% water in it. Removed the fuel where the disc filter was at and it was 10% water. Ugh... Now I need to check the tank. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Got two samples from the tank. One with the bow down and one with the bow up. Both samples were clean. I ran the boat on a auxiliary tank to run fresh fuel through the system. It appears to be running well. The true test will be when it is under load. I can’t believe that I forgot to order and change the fuel filter this year. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get 2 or 3 bottles of heet, it will help burn off any remaining water.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next year prevention is the key. Not sure which works best. I try an keep the tank almost full in winter. They say the cold creates moisture and a large cavity in the tank give room for condensation.  I always put staybil in as winterizing and run engine.
    Those  water separators do there job keep's water out.   darn boat does not run on water to well. A friend of Had the same problem with a Jon boat motor last week.  I hope you run good next time out. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I am planning on dumping a bottle of k100 in my tank tomorrow. I had never heard of that stuff until this week. It comes highly recommended from the mechanic I was working with this week. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar experience this year.  Shakedown run was horrible.  However the next day the problems resolved themselves. I am thinking it had to be a little bad fuel that i somehow managed to burn through. However i am still gonna change out my fuel filters and have been looking into the K100.  @Cableguy Greg which one did you buy.  When i search for it i find prices from $8 a bottle to $36 a bottle.  The cheaper K100 is for autos and farm equipment.  The more expensive "MG" is marine grade.  Have you discovered a difference in the formulation?.  According to the website a full tank should take 2 32 oz bottles.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!