Options

Replacement for non working ice maker

I have an ice maker in my 350 Express cruiser (see picture). The replacement cost is outrageous so I was thinking about putting something else in its place. Perhaps another refrigerator or freezer. Or just make a storage area. Any thoughts?

Answers

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be worried about going to sell it and buyers knowing it should have an ice maker and it is gone. That is a higher dollar Rinker to be missing an oem appliance. I would first see if you can affordably repair it. The units are pretty simple. We love our ice maker, have had them on the last two boats and they are awesome.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    charlieanna1983charlieanna1983 Member Posts: 17
    thanks. trying to find someone who can take a look to see if it makes sense to repair
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced mine with a cabinet. For me an icemaker is useless. I love the extra storage for drinks!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Yes, they are definitely expensive.  And some people only use it a freezer, meaning they have to buy bagged ice at the store.  But would you pay the price if it made ice that was drinkable? 

I installed a canister water filter that serves my icemaker and cockpit sink.  When I show up at the boat on Friday afternoon, there's 10 pounds of good-tasting ice waiting for me.  

http://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/9898/diy-install-of-water-filter-for-ice-maker
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    LaRea said:
    Yes, they are definitely expensive.  And some people only use it a freezer, meaning they have to buy bagged ice at the store.  But would you pay the price if it made ice that was drinkable? 

I installed a canister water filter that serves my icemaker and cockpit sink.  When I show up at the boat on Friday afternoon, there's 10 pounds of good-tasting ice waiting for me.  

http://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/9898/diy-install-of-water-filter-for-ice-maker
    Definitely the route to go if you don't use or change your water every weekend.  No sense in having an ice maker if you aren't going to eat/drink the ice!  I only put in the water I believe I will use for the weekend.  Every Friday or Thursday night I empty whatever is there and put new in. 

Just this past weekend, we used ice for drinks on Thursday night.  Anchored out both Friday and Saturday night, using the ice for us and another boat tied with us.  Then they wanted the ice on Sunday for their drive back home.  When we got back on Sunday, we hit shore for an hour then went out with our kids and had enough ice for a couple evening drinks.  Perfect!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @charlieanna1983.....my Admiral loved the ice maker. If I had ever tried to remove it I'd be walking the plank for even mentioning it! Plus I got to meet some great people at marinas while travelling who found out we had an nice maker - it was a great ice-breaker (groan) upside was they would often bring a beer or mixed drink with their empty bowl!