Options

Advice on vacuflush leak

Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
Hoping someone has some insight into a slow drip I’m having on my vacuflush toilet. Boat just went in the water Friday, after turning on the freshwater pump and head I noticed a pink trail of liquid (antifreeze) from my toilet to my shower drain. Can’t have a new boating season without a new problem lol. 

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dutch320 , it could be coming from 2 places. Just under where it says Eco Vac in your pic that assembly goes into a rubber grommet. Feel behind there for any wetness. If it’s wet I would replace the whole assembly. It can also be coming from the seal that’s sealing the bowl and base. You can try to tighten the clamp that you see in your second pic. If that doesn’t help replace the seal.

Assembly 

Dometic 385316906 Vacuum Breaker Kit - Fits Multiple Models https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC14JW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_H9N2DRZ7AK5W7QT43S1Q

Seal

Dometic 385311462 Toilet Seal Replacement Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFDPPCA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JXKZS7ZZJ3N2H8G683QA
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    You might just want to replace both for preventative maintenance anyway. You can also leak from your foot pedal or water line but your leak looks higher than that.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks for your responses, the leak is coming from just under the metal band where the upper plastic of the bowl meets the base. I’ll try and tighten when I’m at the boat next, most likely I’ll replace everything as suggested. I’ll give an update once fixed. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Update on the leak, I replaced the bowl seal as aero3113 suggested, thanks aero3113 your advice was great, it stopped the leak. Now that the leak has stopped a new issue has presented itself, no vacuum is being created. When I turn on the breaker the bellows move up and down and I can see the water in the toilet pulse with the bellows movement, but no vacuum. Going to replace the four duckbill valves, hopefully tomorrow and if I can find the bellows and O rings locally I’ll change them also. Anything I might be overlooking? Boat is a 2007 and I’m pretty sure nothing has been done to the sanitation system. 
  • Options
    echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    If it was working prior to the seal replacement, I doubt the duckbills are bad. Possibly you created a new air leak somewhere when you installed the new stuff? It just seems odd the accumulator would have issues simultaneously. 
    Dan of Steel
    '05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    Glad it fixed the leak! But when you install those seals they need to be installed a certain way. One or both of them have the direction printed on them.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    In this pic you can see the lower gasket is labeled. That’s the seal that creates the seal against the ball.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Got it fixed, the seals were installed correctly, it was the duckbills. Three of them were warped open and the other one was almost sideways from being so warped. Not sure how replacing the bowl seal could have caused the problem though. The duckbills were so bad I can’t believe it worked at all, even before replacing the seal, I’m sure they were the original ones. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Nice to hear it's fixed!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
  • Options
    TonyATonyA Member Posts: 92
    Mine take's 50/60 cycles before it stops pumping. Is that the norm?

2008 Rinker 400EC Longport NJ
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine take about the same on start up then about every 15 min I goes about 5 more times. Can't fine the leak for the life of me. I was told shaving cream will help fine the leak.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Before I replaced my bowl seal mine would cycle for about 30 seconds, then it would cycle indefinitely until I replaced the duckbills. Now it cycles for about 15 seconds or less  and holds a vacuum for at least a week. After talking to someone at a marine repair facility that was very knowledgeable about vacuflush systems, I was told the main problem areas were the bowl seal, duckbills and hose points of connection, mainly hose clamps coming loose and rarely the foot pedal valve. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks changed duck bills and plunger I'm thinking connection from tank to pump.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    edited June 2021
    I had to change foot pedal with seal last year, so don't rule that out.

You also have diaphragm/bellows that go as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    BoatBiminiLightBoatBiminiLight Member Posts: 6
    TonyA said:
    Mine take's 50/60 cycles before it stops pumping. Is that the norm?

It should stop after 10-15 seconds.