How to gain access behind the Radio/CD player?

pcmpetepcmpete Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
I have 2010 360 Express, I want to change my old useless MB Quart to a Fusion. I also need to the change Sirius receiver, how do I gain access to the back?  
I have pulled the old unit and opened the 12v panel above, but still cannot get enough access.  What else do i need to open/remove?

Thanks
(Photo is not mine, but the same layout)
Rinker 36 2009 Long Island New York

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there an air conditioning vent on the right side of that stack?  That's a good entry point.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Did you remove the doors? The hinges block access to swing the panel open.

Other than that I think it requires disassembling the cabinet. Might be easier to leave the old parts in there as there seems to be a good amount of space overall. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    I disassembled my cabinet.  It's difficult.  It requires pry bars and a high tolerance for risk.  You have to start at the top, and the farther down you go, the harder it gets. 

@pcmpete if you REALLY have to take it apart, I can dig up some pix.  

(Also, see my previous rants about the crappy sound quality of Sirius ... maybe this should be your excuse to ditch Sirius and use a different content source.)
  • pcmpetepcmpete Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    I have a clothes hanging cabinet to the left and nothing to the right side.
    I really don't want to disassemble the cabinets. 
    Any photos of your project would be most welcome.
    Apart from replacing the Sirius to the newer style, i also want to run NMEA 2000 from the Fusion head unit to my Lowrance, so the more access I can get the better.
    These pics will give you a general idea how Rinker was building cabinets in 2007.  

Start at the top by removing the trim and any angle brackets.  

Some joints are made using a piece of black starboard screwed to the shelves and sides.  These are mostly easy to remove.  You might need a stubby Phillips screwdriver for some of them.  

In other places, the shelves have tabs that fit into slots milled into the sides.  These are more difficult to deal with.  You have to force the sides apart far enough to remove the shelf. I used pry bars, but a better tool might be a hydraulic bottle jack.  Get some small pieces of sheet metal to distribute the load so you don't dent the finish.