Axius Skyhook error

jfmtljfmtl Member Posts: 11
Hi all, happy new owner of a '10 340 with Axius Premier installed.  Joystick works fine but getting loud beeps when trying to enable Skyhook feature.  I eventually got message displayed on VV: "CCM: CompassInstallationIncorr".  I Supect there is an issue with the solid state compass, but not sure where to find it to troubleshoot.  Any ideas? TIA

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are calibrations that can be done to be sure digital compasses are correctly calibrated, but the first thing I would do is find the compass and make sure there are no metals or batteries around it that will set it off. When I bought my boat the digital compass worked perfectly…. Then it didn’t. I found it and it was too close to my drill battery so I moved that, but it still wasn’t right. Finally got a metal detector app for my iPhone and found that my wife’s purse was always too close to where the compass is and her air pod battery case in the purse was causing more problems. Relocated purse and all good. I can’t tell you where the compass is, just to be sure nothing bad is within 3 feet of it…… preferably 6 feet.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• pcmpetepcmpete Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    it is located on a shelf behind the Vessel View Panel (left side of our compass), it is easy to access.
    Any issue I have had with Axius/Skyhook I unplug and re-plug the connectors.

• jfmtljfmtl Member Posts: 11
    Thanks guys for the great feedback, i'll have a look when i'll get back to boat; but as per Pcmpete info, i have been laying my iphone on the dashboard just left to the VV...  and it has one of these magnetic metal plate in the back to use with car holder bracket...  luckily my issue will be as simple, will keep you posted.   Thanks.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jfmtl ..... on my 2014 EC360 I had some erratic Axius guidance and Skyhook behaviour. One of the regulating GPS pucks had been placed under the Captain's bench right on top of some wiring and was being mislead by that current. We moved the puck and problem solved. Axius power supply should also be from as "clean" a battery as possible. At the time Mercruiser defined as "clean" as possible as from a battery that had as few connections on it as possible. My Axius power was derived from the Starboard side connected to a Series 31 AGM battery whose only other connections were for starting and generator, neither supposed to be a factor while underway.
  • jfmtljfmtl Member Posts: 11
    Ok resolved the issue this weekend.   I have located the compass with the info provided and apparently that the cable wasn't properly connected. Reseated both ends and now operational.   What a nice and easy fix! Thanks very much for your help guys.