Options

Bilge switch stays on

walkermarwalkermar Member Posts: 48
Hi all, went to the boat tonight and found my switch off but lit up and bilge pump running. Disconnected it from the back so switch seems to be the issue and always on. Has anyone else had this experience? Can the switch be replaced or does it come as one long fixed panel? 
Cheers All

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you check your mid bilge pump float?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the switch is lit up and the pump running with the switch off, one of the floats is stuck. Both pumps are on the same circuit, so I would start at the pump itself. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep- mike drop 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why was the bilge on? Something must have activated the float switch to then get stuck. It may just need a little rinsing to clear up the float. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I think I left the switch on for a period of time after I used it to drain out some rain water . Will take a look at the float. Many thanks as always 

• Options
    Hi all, apologies for the late reply as I had a family bereavement. The float was stuck on all the time so replaced and now absolutely fine. As an aside, I had lost my wallet and found it in the bilge after 4 days of looking for it. Note to self, empty your pockets before laying in the bilge. 🙃
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Had a similar experience last year.  Was working deep in bilge, looked down and saw a watch.  Thought, “oh my goodness, a mechanic must have lost his watch”.  Reached in, pulled it out, and realized it was mine, when I looked at my wrist and saw mine was missing.  If I realized my watch was missing later in the day, I never would have considered that it might be in the bilge.