Options

Always help when you can

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
While we were at lunch today, I was able to help someone out who lost his belt. I saw they had the hatch up and were working. Asked if they needed help. They had a new belt but wasn’t the correct one. I had 2 spares with me and gave him one. He was very grateful and wanted to pay me. I told him my pleasure to help and to pay it forward. Later on he came over to us and thanked us again and handed me a gift certificate for the restaurant we were at. Just thought I would mention that a little help goes a long way and we need to help out our fellow boaters. Too many people out there that would just look the other way.
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Last weekend, a new boater in a brand new regal 26’ or so was trying to dock and got a rope wrapped around his prop. He didn’t know what to do and was trying to use his bow thruster to save himself. I used my dinghy to push him safely to where another boater was able to cleat a line and get him docked to clear the drive. 10 minutes out of my day and his day wasn’t ruined. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    He invited us to meet up with him and his friends whenever we’re at Davis Park Fire Island (his friend has a house there that they spend the summer at). We exchanged numbers, always good to have more boating friends ⚓️.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    You can never have enough friends and many of my best ones are fellow boaters that I have helped out. An act of kindness goes along way especially in these times. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can definitely tell the boaters that are there for pleasure/long outings and the fishermen. Pleasure boaters sem to be very friendly and helpful bad they are great people cause I think they realize we may all need some help at some point on the water. The Columbia river fisherman is like going into battle. Every man for themselves. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @aero3113 - Great story.  Good Job.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aqua_Aura.....brother I have seen videos of running the Columbia River Bar and it IS every man, woman, child and dog for himself! lol ...... Some amazing footage of goings on in that area.. Special nod to the coasties and SARs who patrol those waters. We have a retired SAR Tech in our family who used to fly out of Comox British Columbia and Trenton, Ontario .... some hair raising stories after a few beers and some coaxing.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    @aero3113 That is really awesome and that feeling you get when you save someone's boating day feels just as good as if you were the one receiving it!  Half of the time I have spare parts in case anyone needs them.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yes @Dream_Inn !! And to top it off it was his birthday. I feel like I saved the day! LoL
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    @Michael T. Very calm on the Columbia River Bar today. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    @Aqua_Aura..... thanks for the post - BEAUTIFUL! Pictures of boaters, particularly some of the Coast Guard training runs, leave me in awe of the power of the Columbia river as it hits the Pacific. Recently watched a video of the Army Corps Of Engineers building the jetties to enhance the speed of flow of the Columbia so that it would deposit its sediments further out to sea - the side effect was the potential for massive waves at the inlet! Super interesting.
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Good job @aero3113.  It really is a great feeling when you can help someone out like that.  
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Good on you for helping out a fellow boater. Nowadays, too many people would rather video the people and laugh. These are clearly people that measure their self worth in Facebook "likes".