Options

Questions

I have 3 questions about my 2006 250 Express Cruiser with the mag 350. Today I took her (in perfect conditions) from Boston to Marblehead - about 45 mins. Each way.

1. What speed should I be at around 3800 rpm (I'm around 24)

2. What engine temperature? I'm at 175

3. Lastly I noticed something new with my hot water (fresh water) tank. Usually it heats both when plugged into shore power and engine heat when running. Today, after the extended run, I had no hot water. However once back at the dock and plugged in the hot water came back. Ideas?

Thank you all in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 342 does that with the hot water too, no rhyme or reason.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    175* is dead nuts... Your thermostat is a 160*.. there is some small deviations between 'stats, but for the better part they begin opening at their rated temperarure, and are usually wide open within ten degrees north of the rating... The point of determination is just before the thermostat in the cooling route, which is always going to be a bit hotter..

I bet it holds dang steady within a very small sweep (like maybe a needles width) of 175* once it reaches operating temp, huh? :-)

You're good.. actually, your perfect at 175*.
  • Options
    jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    It never moves a millimeter from 175! I am more perplexed by the hot water tank. Why sometimes it heats to scolding hot by the engine and yesterday it was ice cold? I know the and works because once back on shore power it got hot again? Thoughts?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Maybe it was empty. Is your fresh water tank full? Were you hooked to shore water? Are you sure your system had pressure in it?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Yes. Full tank and pressure. We were using the cold water constantly. Is there anything that would prevent either water going into the hot water tank or why the engine wouldn't heat it. No shore water just holding tank.
  • Options
    hprimmerhprimmer Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2013
    I had a similar problem. The hot water tank is heated buy the engine, when the boat is running. The water hoes from the engine was plugged. My mechanic cleaned it out with pressurized air and everything's fine since.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Glad your all fixed up and it was not to bad...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    It could be a defected pressure relief valve on the hot water tank.  It took me a while to figure it out. The pressure relief valve released and emptied the tank then filled back up with cold water.  It happen to me on an extended run.