Options

Lenco control box location

benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
Can anyone tell me where the Lenco Auto Glide control box might be on 370 (2017)? Tried tracing harness down from keypad, but ran into a rat’s nest of wires about elbow-length deeper. My key pad stopped turning on with ignition. Voltage on keypad connection is only 1.4 V, and Lenco tech support suspects control box problem.

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine was on the “shelf” directly behind the steering column. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Not there. Thought it was, but it was the controller for Mercruiser Active Trim, not the Lenco tabs.
  • Options
    Your boat is pretty new. Perhaps you have the new style switch with the integrated control box??

• Options
    Hmmm. Maybe! When I reached behind the keypad to find the harness, it was way deeper than I thought it would be. Like a small can. How do you get the switch out of the helm panel?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Sounds like you have the switch with integrated control box. There’s a big plastic nut on the back of the integrated switch that you should be able to spin off with your hand. 

If you have the old style switch there are 4 studs with nuts holding the switch in place. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Damm it! That wasn’t it. Pad was held in place by big plastic nut, but no electronics. Back to searching for control box next weekend.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Send a pic... are you sure?
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I just replaced mine with the control box last week. Old style with a control box is flat with 4 bolts and a control wire connection. The new one is a round tube with a large plastic nut that holds it in place. The electronics are in the tube and there isnt a control box. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Plastic nut, no electronics protruding
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    With the Auto Glide system, the control box contains a gyro sensor, so it has to be permanently mounted in a specific position (vertical, oriented along the keel direction).  It could be anywhere in the boat, not just at the helm.  

Lenco Auto Glide
  • Options
    Looked in engine compartment and didn’t see it, though I easily might have missed it. Behind the power panels, maybe? It’s got to be somewhere easily accessible, right? Next weekend...
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    It might be on the starboard side next to the helm seat.  Do you have a subwoofer there?  Take it out and have a look.  
  • Options
    VHF speaker is outboard of helm seat. Subwoofer is under removable aft sear to starboard. Will add those to my search next weekend. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    Found it! Mounted to port side of helm against steps. Right behind switch panel. @LaRea, comment on vertical mounting helped me rethink search. Was the first place I looked this morning. Sending to Lenco tech to see if reflash works. Thanks, all, for the tips. Will post when this is resolved.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    The saga continues… sent controller back to Lenco to reflash. Wouldn’t program, but it communicated with test ok. Back to me.

Reinstalled last weekend and tried to go into test mode. No response from keypad. Set up call for today w/ tech rep.

Got to boat last Fri night, flipped key to aux for radio, and keypad lights up. Huh.
    Sat morning, went into test mode, completed roll calibration, and it transitioned correctly to pitch cal. While running, at end of pitch cal, all lights went out and pad was unresponsive again.
    Over the next couple of days there were a series of dead keypad, responsive/cal attempt, dead again.

Today, Lenco rep had me check power at connector to keypad (it’s in dead state). Should be ~ 12V w/ engine running. It was 1.2V. Tech said to chase red and black upstream from keypad, which is an exercise in frustration. 

Just looked at downloaded schematic. Power goes back to controller! Not sure what good chasing would do. If I check V at breaker and it’s steady, it would seemingly point to controller. Or am I missing something?
    Post edited by benvenuttioki on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    It is also a possibility that the source power at the breaker could drop when under load.  Other than that, it does sound like the controller.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Last post - Definitely an intermittent power problem

Tabs came up in cal mode, completed cal, and worked properly on trip Sat & Sun.
    On the trip home Sun, plotter repeatedly rebooted and finally shut down entirely while VHF constantly turned off and on

This should be fun to chase down. Not.