Options

Toilet Backingwashing question

CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
Hi all,
After ridding our 340 of a collection of spider and insect droppings we started testing all the systems I discovered that our electric flush toilet doesn't seem to eliminate all the waste when we flush it? Well it does flush but even after adding extra water (via the button on the the vanity) it seems to backwash with whatever you're trying to rid the bowl of? I traced the line all the way to the waste tank and didn't notice a check valve of any sort?? It appears that the head might be a little lower than the tank so could it be whatever happens to be in the line coming back up? Shouldn't the motor or line have a check valve of some sort? Any and all advice would be appreciated. 
Thanks so much
Cliff

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be a joker valve in line (check valve). It’s rubber and usually needs to be replaced every couple of years.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    @CnC if you can find the model of the toilet there are plenty of videos on YouTube. Look for videos from Jabsco  They made the toilets on Rinkers and are quite informative for repairs
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    @CnC ..... how is the vent on your waste holding tank? If there is any obstruction/restriction that could result in lack of clearing the waste. There are a lot of superb aftermarket vents available. I added an extra tank top vent, about $30 and 15 minutes work and the Big Orange unit to my 2014 EC360. There is lots of discussion in the Forum Archives on this topic.
  • Options
    Great idea regarding the vent Mike. I might add an extra just for good measure. The YouTube thing sounds like a good place to start Pat and Aero, guess I'm looking into a check valve as well cause there doesn't appear to be one there. Thanks so much guys.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The joker valve will be right at the base of the toilet where the drain line connects. It essentially acts as a check valve preventing backwash from re-entering the bowl. Over winter they can "relax" a bit or stiffen and don't work as well. Sometimes they'll improve as you use the toilet, but should be changed every couple of years anyway. About $10. Looks like a jokers three point hat, hence the name.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Great place to start. Have plenty of towels. It isnt a fun job.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always did mine first thing in spring after winter storage. Lines are dry and not much smell.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Thanks again to all of you guys. I changed out the joker valve and the problem is now fixed. And yes, I got my feet wet resulting in me immediately peeling off my socks and sitting on the swim platform with my feet in the water to save myself from yakking.  Threw them in the garbage along with any related rags I used. Couldn't wait to get home to shower