Kohler 4efcd stumbled and then stopped running?

Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2021 in Engine Discussions
Sitting on the anchor and we were running the generator on our way out so we could make ice. We ran on the generator for about 15 min more after we got on anchor then I remembered to get some more load on it. I turned on the water heater and shortly after it started to stumble then quit. It has been running a little rough lately and only has 160 hours. I'll definitely go through all the typical maintenance items. No error codes

Fuel in the tank is fresh and good fuel. My guess is that extra load shut it down since it's already been skipping a bit. 

Any thoughts?
1997 Bayliner 3988

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spark plugs.  It will run on one cylinder until you put a load on it. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
     I have them on board just was avoiding the task since we were still before the maintenance schedule.  I guess the task caught up to me. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would replace annually. They eat them. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aqua_Aura , if you keep having issues after the plug, go for the fuel filter. If the same after that go for the injector. I had an ongoing issue with it shutting down. It kept giving me electrical issues codes. Turned out to be a dirty injector.
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Same thing happened to me on my 342s 5e and it was the fuel pump. Was running just lovely on a mooring ball and out of nowhere stumbled, sounded like it reved up real quick and then quit. I’d try plugs and filters first as suggested, in my case I knew both were already new and a new fuel pump fixed her right up. I also replaced the ADS in case it was bad but that wasn’t the problem. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

edited May 2021
    ADS?

It did start when we got back to the marina but didn't sound great. I'll do the plugs tomorrow and also have a filter on order. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anti dieseling solenoid. It is a needle that goes in to the carb which has two wires and it chokes out the carb to kill the engine when you press stop. It can get gummed up with crap and cause stall issues. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Purrs like a little kitty cat now ☺️. What a pain in the butt to get at the back plugs. The gap was incorrect on the old ones as well. 

1997 Bayliner 3988