Red oil in bilge

jfmtljfmtl Member Posts: 11
Hi all. Found a pretty good oil quantity in bilge today, after 3-4hrs ride.   All levels look normal.  I have 2 x 350 with axius. Luckily I have been able to pump it and dispose properly... Where is that from? Any idea? Thanks.

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like power steering fluid.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • jfmtljfmtl Member Posts: 11
    Haven't figured that one... obviously not engine oil, drive levels are ok, same for trim...  I thought that axius system was using electric power steering actuators with no oil involved... I need to check more carefully.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing that should be red is ps fluid..from somewhere!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most rinkers have electric Lenco tabs but if you have hydraulic tabs then it could also be red fluid from the tabs. Most likely PS fluid mentioned above 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I second the trim fluid. Many use tranny fluid.
    Thanks guys,   I have electric Lenco Tabs.   I will clean and dry the bilge, And then run some steering tests to trace any leakage.    Steering tests are part of my usual "pre-flight" checklist, but engine bay has always been closed when doing...    I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
    edited May 2021
    It could be from the port side power steering (it's just a dummy loop); you would not detect a port side issue in pre-flight checks!

Check the level in the power steering fluid reservoir on both the port and starboard engines - maybe one was overfilled?  It looks like a lot of fluid leaked though so probably a bad line or fitting.
    Ok went to the boat tonight; confirmed it is power steering from port engine.   After running engine about 10-15 min I have noticed a small stream in the bilge coming from somewhere behind the engine.   Please see pic attached.   Any ideas?  Thanks.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    The other end of this hose from the pump goes to the rear to what would be the power steering fluid cooler however if the port engine its likely just connected and looped back. New hose needed but if the pump had run dry it may be shot too.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Ok thanks.  Looking to get a mechanic to have a look...  I have some skills but do not fit in there lol.   A good thing is that there's still fluid in the tank... thanks again.
    The power steering cooker is at the back of the engine near the top. Maybe one of the hoses is cracked there.