Options

What steps do you take to start up/clean your water system?

McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
Last year I never started up my freshwater system but plan on doing so this year. Normally, I would just flush with one tank of hose water from the marina connected to a RV filter. The water is pretty horrible so I plan on transporting water from my house this year, but want to try and run shock or something to clean out the system before doing so. 

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    Found this years ago somewhere, maybe here? This is basically what I do each spring:

1. 1/4 cup Clorox bleach into one gallon of water. Use one gallon of solution for each 5 gallons of tank capacity. Pour into tank.

2. Complete filling of tank with fresh water to capacity. Open each faucet until air has been released and the entire system is filled and you can smell the chlorine coming out of each faucet. Do not turn off the pump. It must remain on to keep the system pressurized and the solution in the lines.

3. Allow to stand for at least three hours, but no longer than 24 hours.

4. Drain through every faucet on the boat to empty tank. Fill the tank again with fresh water only, drain again through every faucet on the boat. Repeat another fresh water rinse if needed.

BTW - We do not drink our water. We just use it for washing, cleaning and rinsing, but it probably is OK to drink, just our choice.

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    Normally i flush mine a few times.  First i drain out anything in the system and add a little water to it.  Then flush.  Hot and Cold.  Then i fill the tank half way and add a cup of bleach.  Run that through hot and cold.  Turn on the Hotwater heater and let it warm up then flush out the HW heater at the tank.  Fill up another few gallons and flush and then fill with filtered water.  I have a large filter i hook up to the hose at the marina to filter it going into the tank and then have an inline filter on the boat as well.  The only other thing i will do is add a few caps of water conditioner.  Just standard stuff you can get for RV's at Walmart or online.  This does a decent job but the water will take on a rotten egg smell if it sits too long.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I used to use antifreeze in my water system, I would just fill the tank 1/4 of the way with fresh water and run out at a sink. I would do that 4 or 5 times to really clear it out. Our dock water is pretty good though and I use the camco spigot filters too. Now that I use air to winterize the water system, I dont really do that since I leave the tank empty and the city connection flushes the lines. 

Whenever I put water in the tank I use this. Walmart and Menards has it and it keeps the tank water fresh for weeks. Every 3 weeks I take a long shower with whatever is in the tank to use it up and re fill.:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-40206-Tastepure-Drinking-Water-Freshener-for-RV-Drinking-Water-Tanks/14504326?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5066&adid=22222222420449455996&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=501107745824&wl4=aud-850383659952:pla-293946777986&wl5=9015339&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=14504326&wl13=5066&veh=sem_LIA&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2NyFBhDoARIsAMtHtZ4Lozxe1gwJlmHrwPWXel_-FPzej9zUd_tZKEXZKuvXgxt2ZGwIuOYaAuUtEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    I do almost exactly what Liberty stated.  We do drink our water and ice.  I've never used chemicals in my water lines or tank and all is good.  I also change my water out every single week in the season and only use the city water hook up on our 10 day trips.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    you can substitute vinegar instead of bleach I think it works better 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I clean the strainer on the pump, very important

Then run vinegar or bleach water in for a tank. I am also trying to get in the habit of keeping a touch of bleach in the water or vinegar to keep growth from happening. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    vwtoastervwtoaster Member Posts: 34
    @aqua_aura is it difficult to clean the strainer in the pump?  I am new to the forum and my boat. She went in today and the water smelt pretty “sulphery”. I emptied and filled the tank a couple times and think I’ll do the suggestions above with bleach or vinegar. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Mine is on the front firewall on the port side in the engine bay. Kinda difficult to reach however it's not hard to get off and clean. There should be a cylinder looking object attached to the pump that the inlet water goes in. The hoses are locked in with slide locks that you pull and then just pull the strainer off and unscrew and clean 🙂

You can see the pin to pull in this photo and the strainer would be connected here. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    vwtoastervwtoaster Member Posts: 34
    Thanks. I’ll god around there this week and see what I can do appreciate the pics and info!