Can you tell me what this line is for?

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
So i have been meaning to ask this question for a while.  I see this line secured to the transom wall between my engines and i haven't been able to trace it fully to see what it is connected to.  Anyone recognize it.  Smart!@# answers are welcome but i really am curious what it is for.
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a vent line
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    The top of the line is capped off but there is a second cap on a wire that is hanging down.  My first though was that it was an air line to push out the water in the system.  Maybe for winterization?
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an engine oil drain connected to the bottom of the oilpan.  I've never seen it used on a Rinker, but some boats have the drain connected to a plug in the transom for easier out-of-water oil changes.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing!  So I can suck oil from this line?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    @LaRea Interesting.  I wonder if that is a more direct route to use to extract the oil than a small tube through the dipstick?  I guess the logical route would be to have a connection that screws into the fitting vs using a tube.  Likely a much faster way of draining it.
  • SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    When its time for an oil change, you take off the straps that mount it to the back wall and run that line out the drain plug hole.  Take the cap off and it will drain your oil. I have found that it takes FOREVER for the oil to drain using it. I just use a pump that srewa onto the dipstick
    01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaHare said:
    When its time for an oil change, you take off the straps that mount it to the back wall and run that line out the drain plug hole.  Take the cap off and it will drain your oil. I have found that it takes FOREVER for the oil to drain using it. I just use a pump that srewa onto the dipstick
    I agree. The first time I did an oil change, I used that hose, took forever! But some moisture did come out of it because it is the lowest point in the pan. I would say try it once and see if you can get rid of any moisture. I only have that hose on my starboard engine.
    2008 330EC
    It took 3-4 hours to drain my 496s through those tubes (with cold oil).  @aero3113 are you sure it's only on one engine?  The port oilpan is capped off?  That's odd.  
    Hmm now i am curious.  I wonder if pumping it out vs gravity drain would be better.
    I have two lines.  One for each engine.  You just cant see the other one in this pic.
    @LaRea , no hose on the port pan. 
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I connect my electric pump to those lines and it takes just a few minutes to do my oil change.  They work quite well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    I use them every year.
    Remove from the clamp holding to transom; route through plug hole.
    Then start and warm the motor. (yes, on muffs)
    Take fill cap off; remove filter.
    This seems to vent the crankcase and thin the oil enough to drain quite quickly; I'd say no longer than 30-45 minutes.
    Strange thing is no matter if you use this method or the extraction method, only takes 4-4.5 quarts to fill.
    Hmmmm.....5qt. capacity the say.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I installed a bottom drain brass 90 degree elbow with a hose attached to it leading to a 12 volt pump bolted inside the engine bay. I could change oil in 5 minutes into a used windshield washer jug. No mess. When we first hooked-it up the marina's technician used a shop pump to drain the oil (after heating the engine). I said you better have a catch pan or some rags ready. Naaah was his reply, I got it all out. I just smiled pretty sure what was coming. As he got the bottom drain bolt off he started shouting for some rags. He got a lot of hot oil on his hands and had then had to clean my bilge.....with me supervising - so we all know how that went for him. Bottom line you get almost all of the oil and contaminants out using a bottom hose fitting and drain and a lotttt more that those dipstick pumps. Pretty sure I posted this, maybe even with pics, years ago?
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    same set up also but no pump would run the hose through the boat drain plug unscrew and would just drain the oil 
    @LaRea , I think my port pan was replaced at some point and the hose was removed.
    2008 330EC
    I was thinking I should have removed mine while the engines were out.  Now @Michael T has me thinking I missed an opportunity to add oil change pumps like you'd see on big boats.

MT was it one pump serving both motors, or two pumps?  
    I just changed the oil. Got an extra 600ish ML out of each motor using the mystery tube!!
    I wish I knew what 1 ML looked like! LoL
    2008 330EC
    edited June 2021
    Nearly 3/4 of a quart!!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I wish I knew what 1 ML looked like! LoL
    15 ml is a teaspoon.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    OK so i wish i had asked years ago.  That was the easiest oil change i have ever done.  Well except for swapping out the oil filters.  I still don't get the genius that thought that putting in an oil filter upside down was a good idea.  So i purchased a new pump from amazon that primed and didn't leak.  I did have to make a few changes to it though.  I changed out the alligator clips and extended the power line a few feet so it wasn't all stretched out and then just worked on getting the hoses correct.  This is the pump i purchased. I attached a fitting with a barb to a larger hose for output.  This goes directly into my used oil container.  Then used the fitting that you can just slip the hose into to attach to the oil drain hoses that are attached to my drain pan.  They are the same size and thread.  This let me attach the fitting without any issues.  Turned the pump on, let it run and it self primed and drained everything.  First time i ever really felt i actually go all the oil out.  I was never confident using the old method of going through the dipstick tube.  Now to figure something out for that filter.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you puncture a hole in the filter to let air in and oil drain down? When I started doing that on my 350s it helped a lot. Still a little runoff but a major difference. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

@Liberty44140 no i will have to try that if i don't come up with a better idea.  i end up holding a plastic bag and paper towels under it and try and spin it off as fast as possible.  Putting a hole in the top is a good idea.

Did you puncture a hole in the filter to let air in and oil drain down? When I started doing that on my 350s it helped a lot. Still a little runoff but a major difference. 
    Works great with a hole in it, much less oil comes out. 
    2008 330EC
    Definitely liked using this pump over the old one.  The old one was a plastic black and yellow pump that leaked horribly. 
    @davidbrooks , what pump did you use? I have a black and yellow one that leaks also!!

2008 330EC
    Yep.  That looks exactly like the one i threw out last year.  It was subtle but i put the link in the text above to my new one.  i purchased this one.  Amazon.com: New 100W 12V Electric Oil Transfer Extractor Fluid Diesel Pump Siphon Car 100W 12V Electric Oil Transfer Extractor Fluid Diesel Pump Siphon Car Motorbike : Automotive.  Like i said i modified it a little but it worked great.
    I missed that, thanks!!
    2008 330EC
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    Well except for swapping out the oil filters.  I still don't get the genius that thought that putting in an oil filter upside down was a good idea.  
    @davidbrooks
    AGREE! That pedestal for the remote oil filter is just ridiculous. Pretty much requires a large ziplock bag & a bunch of rags. I dread that part of the process.

Been discussed before but I think Ilmor Marine has a small containment tray around the remote filter. Best solution for a crappy design.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current