Options

Ever seen an engine hatch slam shut?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
I was talking to the owner of a 2005 360 that recently moved to my marina.  He got the boat in December.  A couple times when he was closing the engine hatch, the actuator unexpectedly released and the hatch slammed shut.  Any idea why/how that could happen?  

It seems like a major safety hazard.  That hatch is heavy enough to amputate any body part in its path.  He's aware of the problem, and he always uses the prop leg when the hatch is open.  But still, I wonder if I should recommend replacing the actuator.  

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the gear is loose and slipping. That would scare the heck out of me not expecting that to drop. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a gear could be stripped allowing it to slip and fail. I would have him replace the actuator.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Gear driven so shouldn't be able to fall unless the gear against the pinion is missing teeth. You'd think the clunkiness (is that a word?) this would cause would be noticeable going up too also? 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like it something was stripped it would make a noise or give indication. If it randomly falls it's like something is loose. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d be afraid to to climb in there! Imagine he didn’t use the prop rod and got stuck in there for a few days!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Egad!

Got my ween slammed in the utensil drawer in our kitchen while wearing track pants & commando.

Just a bigger scale with the engine hatch....ffffff!

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    If it was a stripped gear wouldnt it drop on the way up as well as on the way down?  I haven't seen the gearing on these things but if it is only slamming shut on the way down it feels like something else.  Either way its dangerous.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!