Options

Air Condition Cockpit vent outlet Ideas

oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
I would like to install a 3" a/c vent outlet in my cockpit using a Y (inlet 6"x outlet 6" x 3" hose adapter connecting to my original 6" duct, But I am worry the new vent will make my 12BT unit work harder and it's performances will go down with time. I wonder if anyone already  did this project to their boat. Any ideas will be appreciate. Thx

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    @oscar1 - Do you not have a 3" vent already at your helm, just under the throttle controls and above the starboard access hatch?

That's where I have one, and it sure looks like it was an original install. That said, it does nothing to cool the cockpit area. I think the solar gain of a camper top is far in excess of what would come out of that vent. To keep the cockpit area of a 310/320 cool would probably require a dedicated A/C unit.

I'm actually going to pull my 3" line from the cockpit and redirect it into the head. Should be a fairly simple project. When the head door is closed, no HVAC gets in there and it's either too cold or too hot. I think rerouting there will help a lot. 
  • Options
    Tony, I don't have any vent in the cockpit right now. I was thinking to install another a/c, but I have a consent about power with my 5kw generator plus the weight of the new unit and my boat is already a heavy girl.
  • Options
    Maybe the vent is not a good idea or a practical one. Thx
  • Options
    You probably would have enough room for another unit where the bin is under the bed - just aft of the existing a/c unit, but then you'd still need to run a big duct back to the cockpit to distribute the air. I'd guess it's possible, but not sure it's worth it -- but then again you are in Florida. For me it wouldn't be practical.
  • Options
    Tony, I believe you are right it is not practical to do it. I need to start using the boat soon, so I stop looking for a new projects. Thx appreciate
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were to just use the AC at night it may work. During the day in Miami? Forget about it
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    @oscar1 we had a 2014 EC 360. There was an 18K BTU unit under the front berth. There were outlets in the front berth area, the head and the rear berth. I definitely needed cockpit cooling. If we had not sold the boat I was looking at installing an outlet in the cockpit with dampers on the outlets down in the cabin to re-direct more air (cool and hot) into the cockpit when wanted OR as a fellow 360 slip mate did - install a small AC unit under the front (port) passenger bench seat. He bought one of the hvac units that you could mount the compressor beside the coils so there was plenty of room. It worked great.
  • Options
    @Michael T. Really worked well? During the summer at 2pm????? With all the cockpit covers on and zipped up?? I doubt it unless it was a 60 degree Canadian day. Remember he is in Miami. 
  • Options
    I believe one 3" outlet is not going to do anything to cool off the cockpit under the miami heat, so I going to put this project in hold for now. But I really appreciated everyone opinion about my project. thx
  • Options
    @oscar1 - Just for reference here is a pic of where my HVAC vent is at the helm. I thought for sure it was OEM, I'm the third owner, and I don't think any PO added it. And again, it does nothing to cool the cockpit area...

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    @Handymans342 and @oscar1 yes, likely a single 3" nor 4" AC outlet in a 360's cockpit from an AC unit down in the cabin would be a stretch in Miami (and Canada too Steve in July/August). That said, the Rinker 360 owner who had a slip at my marina with the AC unit under his port bench seat in the COCKPIT could keep the cockpit at 70-72 degrees on the hottest most humid days. It did have a  hard top but it also had the Ameritex black canvas/stamoid option and the stern did face west! 

• Options
  • Options
    Yes it would have to be a dedicated unit with at least two outlets and a return
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cockpit air is a 16k unit. Has a total of six 3” vents and one return that is around 12 x 12”. My vents open, close, and turn so people can point them on themselves which is really nice. At the helm I like to be able to point it up at me when standing or down when I am sitting.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    My cockpit air is a 16k unit. Has a total of six 3” vents and one return that is around 12 x 12”. My vents open, close, and turn so people can point them on themselves which is really nice. At the helm I like to be able to point it up at me when standing or down when I am sitting.
    Cause its not a Rinker