Options

Best grease for sliding cabin door?

Hey folks, curious on what type of lubrication (insert joke here) you prefer for the sliding cabin door? Seems like putting a white lithium grease would work well but I would also assume it would attract every piece of dirt and crumb on the boat. Thanks Nick

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I use a silicone spray and works real well....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    raybo3 said:
    I use a silicone spray and works real well....
    Same Here as well as my anchor roller hinges etc.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stick wax doesn't attract debris or track into cabin fabrics.... just a thought... 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe these slide on nylon or delron plastic pieces.  Lubricating usually makes it worse, it attracts debris.  Usually cleaning the tracks can help more.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    On the newer EC's  the two doors run in slotted plastic channels supported by wheeled "trucks" that can be lubed to slide real, real easy, in my opinion way too easy if you aren't careful. The doors are very heavy ( I've lifted both out) and can really build up speed. Then - boom!. CAUTION. If you make those two doors REAL easy to slide, make sure you have a couple of the clear rubber stoppers on the wall. The doors, if slammed, can crack, particularly the screen door. I have heard of these doors slamming shut while underway if the boat takes a hard list due to a wake - that's why there is the metal stopper. As well, a buddy with a couple of beers in him might "fire" it shut by mistake. I tell all my buddies to pretend their finger is in the door when closing it because if they break it their fingers WILL be in the other door when I close it. My doors get the greatest respect! BTW I hear the doors make a he!! of a sound when they go boom!MT
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 270 cabin door was nearly impossible to close/open. Tried cleaning/silicone etc.. Turns out that the lower track had no support on the inner 50% behind the helm so when the weight of the door was pushed back in the recess it caused the track to sag and bind. I crafted a 3/8" oak slug and lathered it with 3m 5200 and gingerly coaxed it under the far end of the track with a long rod.....and then had MTs problem.

Wow it's like greased lightning. Placed a rubber stopper at the top behind the instrument panel and problem solved. A good cleaning, silicone plumbers paste, and check the track for level supports all the way back inside the tail end of the track. Good luck and don't slam a finger ;)  Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips. Wll try it out this weekend.
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I used WD40...it helps clean the door and works for most of the season after I lube it up.