Options

Weird Alarm

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
OK here goes. I went for a shake down run and needed fuel. I was on my way into the Boston Harbha when I got an alarm. Very common for first trip. Usually I get the alarm because my S/B side drive "burps" and I have to fill the gear oil res. So I raise the hatch and the bottle is full. Keep in mind as soon as I went to idle the alarm stopped. So I powered up again and 15 minutes later alarm came back just as I was entering the Harbha. Lowered the RPM's and again it shut off. So I went no wake, filled the fuel tank and started for home. Once out of the Harbor I powered up (about 3900 rpm) all the way back and ran great with no alarms. Question, what the heII could cause the alarm then fix itself? 
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    It sounds like high water pressure alarm.  When was the last time your manifolds were changed?  If it's been a long while, they could be a little clogged and causing back pressure, enough to hit 40psi on water pressure.  This happened to me in March and another buddy's boat this year too.  Exact same symptoms.  Take her on plane and watch water pressure (if you have vesselview/mobile) or just go up to 4200rpm and then back to 3800.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Wondering about raw water pump impeller , housing possibly grooved and losing pressure at higher rpm. Also bravoitis , have your water pick up hose been replaced. Is it possible you had an air picker that worked it’s way out ? 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    goalie59 said:
    Wondering about raw water pump impeller , housing possibly grooved and losing pressure at higher rpm. Also bravoitis , have your water pick up hose been replaced. Is it possible you had an air picker that worked it’s way out ? 
    He replaces water impeller every year and he had the pickup hoses replaced with the new drives a couple of years ago. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Plastic bag or other debris partially clogging the outdrive's water pickup?  And then the bag fell off when you put it in reverse while docking at the Harbha? 

Even if the coolant temp looked okay, insufficient flow of raw water can produce a manifold hi-temp alarm at high RPMs.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    I'm still wagering high water pressure alarm.  :wink:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    New impellers every year. Temp never changed. New water pressure senders last year. I will have it scanned when my buddy slows down. Thanks for your feedback. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    I had that issue once I think it was either voltage or the IAC valve