Options

Docking help with our 340 Rinker...

CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
Hey guys in Ontario (on Lake Ontario) in the Kingston area and wonder if there is anyone you can recommend for some tutoring getting this thing into a dock? I'm sort of understanding the principles of wind/current/speed/twin engine thing but for whatever reason it's simply not working out. I go to an open area and back the thing up fairly well picking an spot I want to target and it seems to work. Get to a dock with a neighboring boat and then it all falls apart. If this keeps up it's going to be a relationship killer and my wife will be throwing me out. Anyhow any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance and another thank you to those of you for the help this far. Love this forum!!!

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practice practice practice 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YouTube was my instructor. I think there is a few other Rinker people on here that are in your area maybe they can help. 

Never go faster than you're willing to hit something

Generally you never need more than idle speed and also as you said be very aware of the wind and current. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    The “never go faster than you're willing to hit something” ethic had me scared. Then I watched experienced boaters dock their boats and saw that they do so at speeds twice what I was. Sometimes you need a bit more speed to counter the wind/current, especially with the canvas up. 

Practice for sure but I also find canvas down helps a lot and ask for a couple dock hands to come meet you. Ask one of them to be on the bow of the boat next to you if you're really unsure. I always give $5-$10 tip per dock hand (depending on weather/difficulty of docking) and when I call in for help they are always waiting for me. Plus they take your garbage for you!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    This is our 3rd season with our 310 EC after 20+ years in a 25' single engine.

Going from single to twin engines is definitely a learning experience and I would agree with what everyone has said: Practice, speed, etc.

This last weekend the Admiral said: "I think you got the docking mastered." We had gone through many "discussions" over the seasons about how to approach a dock, speed, etc.

So just don't get discouraged, keep doing what you're doing -- meaning learn from your mistakes, adapt, try again, improve.

You'll get it eventually - and everyone will be happy.
  • Options
    tonystoytonystoy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    I helped my friend out a few years ago. He wanted to practice docking...but not at the docks where he could run into boats and/or docks. We went to an area about 10-15’ deep by a local beach. I “anchored” a couple of those rectangular leap pads so they wouldn’t move. I set them up about 11-12’ apart to simulate a dock. He then practiced from multiple ways “docking” it in between the pads. Just a thought of a way to practice around things that aren’t expensive.?.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    i took my boat out away from everyone and used a channel marker as a "pretend" dock.  it allowed me to try a bunch of approaches without worring about people watching or getting in anyones way....or hitting anything.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    tonystoy said:
    I helped my friend out a few years ago. He wanted to practice docking...but not at the docks where he could run into boats and/or docks. We went to an area about 10-15’ deep by a local beach. I “anchored” a couple of those rectangular leap pads so they wouldn’t move. I set them up about 11-12’ apart to simulate a dock. He then practiced from multiple ways “docking” it in between the pads. Just a thought of a way to practice around things that aren’t expensive.?.
    That’s a great idea!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    edited June 2021
    The following is based on some notes I wrote for a friend. 

I'll use this shorthand:  I'll call it an "FR spin" when you spin the boat towards starboard by putting the port engine in forward, and the starboard engine in reverse.  An "RF spin" is the opposite, spinning to port.

(By now, you probably know that when you move the shifters to FR or RF, your hands are "spinning" the shifters in the same direction that the boat will spin.) 

Take the boat to a channel marker or no-wake buoy located far from traffic.  It should be a place where you can hang out for a while without bothering anybody.  The buoy will be your stationary reference point.

1) With the boat a comfortable distance away from the buoy, start making FR spins.  Do this until you get a feel for how the boat moves relative to the buoy.  Then make some RF spins.  Do these for a while, always keeping an eye on your reference buoy.  Go back and forth for 5-10 minutes.  

Next, while doing an FR spin at minimum throttle, do the following:

2)  Add a little more forward throttle on the port side.  You will continue to spin, but also move forward a bit. 

3)  Go back to minimum throttle on both sides, then add some reverse throttle on the starboard side.  You will continue to spin, but also move backward a bit. 

4)  Now change to an RF spin, and repeat (2) and (3). 

5)  Next, do some FR and RF spins, but try to make the boat spin a little faster by gently adding throttle.  There will be times that you'll need more throttle to counteract wind and/or current.

Then try these exercises, which are the same things you'd do on a single-engine boat:

6) Wheel to starboard, bump engines in reverse (pulls the stern to starboard).
    7) Wheel to starboard, bump engines in forward (pushes the stern to port).
    8) Wheel to port, bump engines in reverse (pulls the stern to port).
    9) Wheel to port, bump engines in forward (pushes the stern to starboard).

The point is to get a feel for how the boat responds to all of these throttle/steering inputs.  Ideally, you should do them on a calm day, then go back and do them with some wind and/or current.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,562 mod
    edited June 2021
    I'll add to LaReas comments.  In general, it's locating and realizing where your pivot point is.

#6 &8 Also note how much the bow moves to the opposite side and swings at a faster rate.

Also practice using just one motor with wheel turned, using outer motor and inner motor.  You can practice this with walking boat sideways and not moving forward or aft.  Just sideways. It takes a lot of wheel turning, but looks awesome when you can squeeze your boat into a tight spot at the fuel dock.  It also helps learning when going against wind and aligning up to pulling into a slip.
    Post edited by Dream_Inn on

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    I like @LaRea’s tips. I practiced the way @davidbrooks suggested. (Almost) Touch the bow to the marker. Do the same but with port and starboard side as if you’re coming into T head. Back into it. Do all of the above from different directions so wind and current varies.
    Final tip, always do a debrief with admiral after you’re back in. What went well? What went badly? Why? No finger pointing; just learning.
  • Options
    Agreed @benvenuttioki - the admiral is like a caddy!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    When i am docking i never touch the steering wheel. When you get comfortable treating the throttles like a bicycle handlebar it will all make sense.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When i am docking i never touch the steering wheel. When you get comfortable treating the throttles like a bicycle handlebar it will all make sense.
    That’s what the previous owner of my 330 told me. Very helpful to think of it like that. I haven’t mastered it 100% but getting close. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    You can also stand at the helm with your back to the steering wheel and use the throttles with the handle bar method.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I was told to think of controlling the boat like you would a zero turn lawnmower. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    @aero3113, I forgot that one! As soon as the boat starts to spin I face aft. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I was told to think of control the boat like you would a zero turn lawnmower. 
    I like that @YYZRC
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Hi there, I have a 342 which is my second twin engine boat that had duoprop drives.

My first word of advice is don’t take advice from anyone who has straight inboards, as our drives do not act the same way as a straight shaft inboard, or even a single prop outdrive.  The counter rotating props do not cause your boat to steer like a single prop would.

The best advice I came across from book which basically said keep it simple.  The strategy was to land the boat using one drive at a time to avoid confusion and to get comfortable with how the boat reacts.  The strategy goes like this; when turning starboard, in forward or reverse, use the port drive and the wheel.  When turning port use the starboard drive and the wheel.  When going straight in forward or reverse use both drives… simple. 

In time you will get comfortable and try new things.  Until then, keep it simple.

Also, if the wind or current is taking you, more power might be what you need.  Being too passive and not maintaining momentum will leave you susceptible.  People say go slow and that’s fine, just make sure you have momentum. 

The book I read was here. I found it well written and easy to follow. https://www.boatingwithdawsons.com/shop/single-sterndrive-intro-2/

2006 342FV - Ontario
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    A lot of good suggestions here. I also tell folks to think of it like a zero turn mower or skid steer.  One good practice routine is to get near a marker and do circles around it, back in close to it, go in close bow first....doing all of this without touching the steering wheel....this will give you a feel of how the boat reacts to your inputs.
    ONE BIG THING.......don't overthink think this. Practice all these items and it will come natural.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    downunderdownunder Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    some very good advice here.

let me tell you my experiences
    i bought a 340 FV some 5 years ago and had never owned or operated a boat before!
    got in it and thought it would be like driving a car! boy it was just crazy as i snaked up the marina fairway like a dangerous weapon out of control but i stuck at it.

i was told to use the throttle and wheel but that confused me even more so i stuck with the one throttle etc at a time which was a real step forward .

then i had to learn boats have no brakes and are heavy and have amazing momentum! so then i really slowed down when docking.
    Now i am using the wheel and throttle together when required . My wife gave up on me and that helped as i learned to do the whole thing by myself!! now when i dock i just ask all to stay seated and calm lol its a great feeling when it all goes to plan .
    If i screw up i just do not get stressed out and go around and welcome the practice!
    so keep at it .
    "festina lente" - 2001  340 FV
  • Options
    CnCCnC Member Posts: 142 ✭✭
    A huge thank you to all of you, really. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Showed my wife some 'boat docking fails' on youtube.

She has tremendous respect for me now.
    lolololol.

edit: Wait, I have to rethink what she said to me...

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current