Options

Lightning

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was just wondering, is it better to stay plugged in at the dock when a storm comes through or unplugged? I know you can’t be there every time a storm comes through, but when you are do you stay plugged in or not?
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I can give you advice from the RV world. Whenever there was an electrical storm close I always disconnected from shore power. If needed I ran the generator. I didn't like the chance of a surge doing serious electrical damage.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never unplug. Dock post has breakers and my inlet has breakers. Curious on other comments though, maybe I should!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never bothered. It shouldn't affect whether or not you get a direct strike. And if a surge is going to happen it'll happen whether you're there or not. So why worry while you're there? We had enough stick boats with nice tall aluminum masts 2 rows down from us that I never worried much.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

You could always use a surge protector for a little piece of mind. Never gave this any consideration until I read this post, now I have more work to do lol. 
    • Options
      IanIan Member Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭✭
      Plugged in you at least have a path to known earth that will sink to ground in part versus just to water, electricity takes the easiest path so unplugged it will find a way to earth somehow - give it one to take first versus through the hull an drives. Surge incoming on shore power should pop breakers but big enough it will damage anyway; nothing will stop a direct hit to your antenna or rail.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
      LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
      edited June 2021
      Personally, I don't unplug.  In the 23 years I've been in this marina, I've never heard of surge damage here, although I guess it could happen. 

But in my opinion, if a boat gets a direct strike, that wee little ground conductor in the shore power cord probably won't change the outcome.  
    • Options
      Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Dutch320 said:

You could always use a surge protector for a little piece of mind. Never gave this any consideration until I read this post, now I have more work to do lol. 
        Dutch, we use those in the RV world. I use one at the main outlet and plug my RV into it. 
      • Options
        Dutch320Dutch320 Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
        I saw quite a few for RVs, but most were exterior mount. I kinda liked this style because it could be mounted inside out of the weather. Surprised almost all of these on Amazon were geared towards RVs when we both have similar sensitive electronics on board. 
      • Options
        Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Dutch320 said:
        I saw quite a few for RVs, but most were exterior mount. I kinda liked this style because it could be mounted inside out of the weather. Surprised almost all of these on Amazon were geared towards RVs when we both have similar sensitive electronics on board. 
        Yes a lot of RV owners have installed this inside