Options

Chicago

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
The admiral and I are heading to Hammond, IN this weekend on our 280. We plan to make the short run up to Chicago to check things out up there. I have never boated on Lake Michigan, so it there anything I need to look for or avoid? I have been on Lake Erie and the Chesapeake which are way different from my typical river boating. Any advice would be great. 
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Greg - Sent you a DM
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay on the water and avoid the city. Chicago is more dangerous than San Salvador 
  • Options
    Stay on the water and avoid the city. Chicago is more dangerous than San Salvador 
    We stayed in downtown a few weeks ago and it wasn’t bad at all. Probably walked 5 miles and biked 10 miles along the shore. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love downtown Chicago. Gotta see the Billy Goat Tavern in the underground area of the Wrigley building. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Personally and not to make this political but I wouldn’t go to any city with a Liberal mayor. IE, Portland, Kansas City, New York, DC, Philadelphia, Austin, Seattle and on and on. 
  • Options
    Personally and not to make this political but I wouldn’t go to any city with a Liberal mayor. IE, Portland, Kansas City, New York, DC, Philadelphia, Austin, Seattle and on and on. 

I am looking for places to go on my boat. What places to avoid in the water, shoals, shallow areas, unmarked areas along Lake Michigan. Some local boating information. I could care less about the politics of a city.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

I am looking for places to go on my boat. What places to avoid in the water, shoals, shallow areas, unmarked areas along Lake Michigan. Some local boating information. I could care less about the politics of a city.
    Aren’t you limited to where you can go?
  • Options

If you mean Covid restrictions? As of tomorrow Chicago is 100% open. No restrictions of any kind. 100% capacity at all restaurants, venues, etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Here's the Lock procedure I wrote up for some other people:

The Chicago Harbor Lock is a bit unique, so a few words on local lock etiquette and procedures.

Because it is so busy locals usually do not hail the lock manager, either via radio or horn. It is like being at a normal traffic light on land. Just wait and soon it will be your turn to go through. The lock cycles an average of 32 times per day.

The lock chamber is 600 feet (180 m) long by 80 feet (24 m) wide and 22 feet (6.7 m) deep. The lock has an ~15 minute cycle through, with a typical water-level difference of two to five feet (0.61 to 1.52 m) -- but can be as much as six feet. Water level is controlled via gravity through partially opened lock gates.

The lock is the second busiest in the nation for recreational use, so in season it is almost constantly in use. In 20+ years of boating I think I’ve only locked through alone once.

Life jackets / PFDs are required to be worn while locking through for all aboard your vessel. If not on already, best to don them while in the waiting / staging area.

If the signal light for the lock is red when you arrive, do not enter even if the chamber is open. Just wait. You can stage just north of the lock, but be aware that between the lock and Navy Pier is an abandoned and submerged pier called Dime Pier. In low water times, the old caissons are visible and usually home to hundreds of water birds, but in higher water levels it is hidden and difficult to see, especially at night. The city has put markers around the area, but be careful!

Once the gates open check the vessels around you. Any emergency/government and/or commercial traffic has priority to enter before you. These are the light signals:

STEADY RED: Do not enter / stay clear. Government or emergency vessels only!
    STEADY YELLOW: Commercial traffic only may enter the locks
    STEADY GREEN: All other vessels may enter

Wait for the GREEN light!

About the only time you would hail the lock manager via VHF is if you see the lock open and/or being loaded from your side, and you’re still a bit of a distance away. It is OK to quickly hail them and tell them your intentions and if they could wait for you before starting the lock cycle. More often than not, they will wait for you.

When you enter there will usually be no directions from the lock manager as to where to pull up. It is all at your discretion. There are lines attached along the length of each side of the lock. Pull up wherever you are comfortable and grab some lines. Do not tie off. Just hold the lines. It is OK to keep your engine(s) idling during the lock through.

Once all vessels are secure, the lock will blast the horn and begin the cycle.

Depending upon the river and lake levels you can go up or down, so be prepared to take in or pay out line. Typically the average difference is about three feet (one meter).

If the river is higher (which is rare, but happens) you will get a rush of water, so watch that your bow doesn’t get caught and swing out.

Once the cycle completes and the gates open, another blast will signal you may leave. Wait for government / commercial vessels, then follow them out, remove your life jackets if you wish - and enjoy your ride down the Chicago River!

• Options
    TonyG13 said:

If you mean Covid restrictions? As of tomorrow Chicago is 100% open. No restrictions of any kind. 100% capacity at all restaurants, venues, etc.
    I meant by water and distance 
  • Options
    Greg - Here are two links I use for weather specific to our area. The second link also has webcam views to gauge wave heights.

https://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=lmz741

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/metdata/chi/
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg 

To add to what @TonyG13 said...which was a lot of great advice.  Hammond has a submerged breakwall about a 1/4 mile out.  It's on charts but people do hit it from time to time.  I haven't been over there this year but look at your charts and you will see all dangers.  Dime Pier is one to really watch for especially if you plan to do the river.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    One other thing I just noticed while I was looking at the Navionics/Garmin charts which could be confusing. They show "Burnham Park" next to two harbors. Note that's the name of the park - on land - and not the harbors. The southern harbor is 31st Street Harbor (not labeled as such by Navionics), and the northern harbor (next to McCormick Place and Soldier Field) is indeed Burnham Harbor.
  • Options
    Made it into our slip at Hammond. Traffic was a little nuts getting here. Two exits on I94 were closed which put us too far east. Good thing is we are floating. Off to Chicago tomorrow morning. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Fly's are really bad this year.  Little buggers are really annoying and will cover your boat if you are not moving at a good speed.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Boat hit Dime Pier tonight.  Not a Rinker lol

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I am a little late at posting this, but I wanted to say that we had a nice time in Chicago two weeks ago. A huge shout out Thank You to @TonyG13 and @skennelly for your advice on where to go and not to go. I got to talk with Tony on the phone and he gave me some great advice on making the run from Hammond to downtown Chicago.

We trailered up from just north of Champaign to the harbor at Hammond. We got caught in traffic on I294 due to construction. The one exit that I wanted to stop at was actually closed by the Indiana DOT for rehab work which put us 5 miles further east on the highway. We made it to the harbor and the ramp was the easiest ramp that I have ever used. Our slip was nice and simple to back into as well. We didn't venture out that night since we were unfamiliar with the area.

The next day we left the harbor and ran 12 NM up to the Windy City. We stayed about a mile, to a mile and a half off shore on the run per the advice from Tony. The admiral and I enjoyed the ride and the water wasn't too bad. There was a little chop, about 1 to 2 footers and the wind was at our face. Once we made it to Chicago, we worked our way over to the Chicago Play Pen. That area is famous for the "anything goes" action on a boat. Due to the nature of the area, there were some decent sized wakes to cross when we were in front of the Navy Pier. Then the storm started to roll in. Knowing that we would get rocked at the Play Pen, we decided to go to the south side of the lock and wait there for the storm to pass. The admiral got a little sea sick from the wakes and other boaters jockeying for positions. Once inside the break wall, we were able to anchor out. We had a great view of downtown. Tony was able to grab some screenshots from a webcam which had my boat in view. Once the admiral got her sea legs back, we made our way through the lock to the river. The lock is an experience in itself. I have been through locks enough times in Pittsburgh to know what to expect, but I have never seen the lock master open the downstream gate to empty the lock. Once on the river we tied up and went to dinner in town. Once we got back to the boat, we went down the river so we could get some photos of the skyline. We worked our way back through the lock and started back to the harbor in the dark. I am glad that I have a GPS plotter on my boat. I was able to follow my trail back. If I didn't have that, I would probably still be lost out on the lake. 

The next day we stayed close to the harbor since the winds had kicked up some where were were at. The forecast was 0-1 footers and we had 1-3 footers. To keep the admiral from getting sick again, we stayed close. 

Since we are looking for a permanent place to slip the boat, I am glad that we made the trip. It was nice to check off boating on the second of the five Great Lakes. We will probably make it back to Lake Michigan since we live so close. I would like to go to Michigan City, IN the next time to see what that part of the lake is like. 

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Great write-up an pix!  Sounds like a fantastic trip.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    It's great to hear about your adventures Greg!  Love the pics, but don't see any with your daughter.  She's probably grown a half foot since the last I saw you guys!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    It's great to hear about your adventures Greg!  Love the pics, but don't see any with your daughter.  She's probably grown a half foot since the last I saw you guys!
    Thank you @LaRea and @Dream_Inn . She was on a camping trip with her aunt and uncle, so we took advantage of a rare adult trip on the boat. She sure has grown. It maybe half a foot. Hard to believe that she is 6 1/2 now. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I felt so bad when the storm blew through that I was sitting at home watching @Cableguy Greg bouncing around on the webcam. Figured the least I could do was send him a screenshot of his adventure. :D  I'm just glad the rest of the trip turned out well.
  • Options
    @TonyG13 - That's great.  Well done
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    FireflyFirefly Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2021
    Glad you had a great time. Really no other city like Chicago in the summertime. Michigan City is a nice stop for next time if you like being close to the dunes and some terrific beaches. New Buffalo is only 8 miles further and  has a nicer town area although still underdeveloped. Since we're based in Hammond we have the best of both worlds... we can go to the city or head east for the day if we want quieter beaches. Hope to see you back!
  • Options
    Firefly said:
    Glad you had a great time. Really no other city like Chicago in the summertime. Michigan City is a nice stop for next time if you like being close to the dunes and some terrific beaches. New Buffalo is only 8 miles further and  has a nicer town area although still underdeveloped. Since we're based in Hammond we have the best of both worlds... we can go to the city or head east for the day if we want quieter beaches. Hope to see you back!
    Wish I could have met up with you that weekend at Hammond. I am sure we will be back. Hopefully the lake will be smoother next time. 
    Go Steelers!!!