Engine stays on

brandonmayberrybrandonmayberry Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
Just checking to see if anyone has some crazy insight before I go tracing wires. 

2002 rinker 342 with 6.2 engines. Starboard had trouble starting. I cranked on it pretty good, finally got it fired up. Now it won’t shut off with the key and I’m getting constant power to the dash even with key off/all wires removed from switch etc. somehow it seems the engine is back feeding power. Only way to get it to turn off is literally unhook at the engine. 

Anyone better with electrical than me? 

TIA 

Comments

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Mercruiser or Volvo? Not sure but there maybe an ignition relay on the engine that may have overheated during cranking. It's recommended to crank for only 10 seconds at a time.
  • brandonmayberrybrandonmayberry Member Posts: 226 ✭✭
    Mercruiser. Yes sir. We have swapped and checked relays and that changed nothing 
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "trouble starting" as in it turned over but didn't fire? or... had a hard time turning over? 

the key switch turned to start JUST operates the relay, and the relay is common to go bad.  that's manifest by no nuthin when you turn it... this one, though, is stranger... it seems a bridge is making connection over the coil wire (purple wire) when you attempt to kill engine... that would be my guess, and i would also guess corrosion as the culprit- it needs to carry only a few watts- so hardly ANY connection is going to cause that..... 

i'd imagine the place to look first is in the engine room... find the purple wire leading to your coil pack and hit it first with some wire cleaner, then with some protectant after the cleaner dissipates.. it may and likely is something you can actually see... if that doesn't get it, pull the dash panel and look for the purple wire to key switch- that usually heads to the tachometer after that (it's the signal that tattles on the engine speed)... look for corrosion, clean corrosion, protect against future corrosion all with the spray cleaner and protectant... 

the other place to look if that doesn't take care of it is the same starter relay (your big red button reset is attached to the same bracket) and find the wires that lead to the ignition module and give them a cleaning. 

It turned over and acted like it wanted to start. Never stopped turning with full crank, just acted starved for fuel or gas, whcih sometimes it will act funny for a second or three and i have to advance throttle. This time it did nothing for an extended period of time while cranking. Would give a little chug when i would stop cranking, but only sometimes and then nothing.

We swapped engine relays and it made no difference unfortunately.

I agree it seems to be a purple wire bridge, but i cant seem to located it. I believe itll have to just be ohm'ed out and that something im not the best at. Im waiting to hear back from my mechanic on what he finds.

Ill trace the purple wire on back and hope its something easily found.

I just hoped someone had the magic fix but unfortunately had a feeling it was something more than a simple switch or button.

Thank you for your time and insight. Ill report back when/if i figure it out.
    Just to update everyone, got it figured out. Apparently the plug that goes to my VesselView mobile got unplugged, and the when it got plugged back, it didn’t line up right. One of the prongs bent down, causing contact to the other. Pulled apart and all is good. 

Thanks for the help!!
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.  Glad you got it fixed
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3