Anybody know what this second bilge pump is?

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
It is directly underneath my engine which happens to be out at the moment, that’s another story!

Comments

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a shower sump
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    No, my shower sump is under the aft cabin compartment. 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    A/C drain???
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    A/C drain???
    I think your right @raybo3
    2008 330EC
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Now that is a convienent place to put a pump. Geez. I would be moving that asap.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Why on earth would they put an AC drain there?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    It's out of the way so no one will trip over it.
    That was my guess. Not the AC drain but I’m thinking the AC condensation?  The drain is in the starboard side. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 270...is it hooked up, does it work? The a/c condensation on mine goes thru a hose on the port side and to the bilge...
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    luvinlife said:
    That was my guess. Not the AC drain but I’m thinking the AC condensation?  The drain is in the starboard side. 
    Odd, mine has it’s own through hole piped off the tray below the AC drain.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Yes it’s a 2006 FV 270. I’m not even sure it works. I don’t think so. It was full of water. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    that that is an ac condenser drain dump pump.  Looks like a 270 engine compartment. The sump must be lower than the ac unit.  Earlier models had the drain hose simply drip into the bilge. This was very good but some complained of water in the bilge. Sooo, complicated pos is what was devised.   Personally I would let the drain drip into the bilge 
    I thought about rerouting mine to the shower sump in the mid bilge area. Then I looked at how to get it there and I didn’t go any further. Too much like work. It can drain into the bilge. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Four Winns had both the AC condensate and the head (shower) drain routed into the same sump box.  Is that possible on the 270?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    I really hope that OEM gas tank is OK. Mine failed due to corrosion six years ago on my 2006. It does float 24/7 365 in saltwater. The photo of the empty engine compartment brought back bad memories. Andy.
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    My Four Winns had both the AC condensate and the head (shower) drain routed into the same sump box.  Is that possible on the 270?
    Yes, that is possible. The box has multiple taps on it. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Yes, that is possible. The box has multiple taps on it. 
    Right, but is the shower sump box lower than the AC condensate pan?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't that hard for me on my 2004 270.  Re-routed it right in the shower box and it will run once every 40 mins or so down here when the AC in running.. all that water in the bilge would be no good. Mainly because it takes MANY gallons of water before the bilge pump actually gets activated. 
    So I’m convinced now that it’s the AC condensation drain.  I’ll try to be sure it is working before my engine (new long block) goes back in. 
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I would confirm what it is as you will do and probably just consider removing it while you have the chance. What if it fails and then backs up into whatever is supposed to drain? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I would confirm what it is as you will do and probably just consider removing it while you have the chance. What if it fails and then backs up into whatever is supposed to drain? 
    Or move it to a different location that’s easier to access.
    2008 330EC
    Moving it is a better idea!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been guys on here whose bilges really smelled bad because of ac condensation flowing in to the bilge. Agree I’d keep it but move it to a better location if you can. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt leave it under the engine that is for sure.  As to eliminating it.  That would be my next thought.  How often do you use the AC?  it is going to have a lot more condensation in FL than RI.  If i was in RI and only used it a few times a summer i would just let it drain into the bilge.  It wont be that much up there.  Let the bilge pump handle it when it does.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in Ohio the ac runs full time when I am on the boat, whether I am at the dock or running the boat. Soon I’ll leave it in dehumidify mode while not at the boat. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)